cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
frankderuyck
Level VI

"Animals" Split Plot DOE

Hi, in JMP Sample Data there is a small data set "Animals" for illustrating a split plot design, see attachment.

I understand that nesting subject into species generates six whole plots for estimating random error. However it is strange to see that the 4 levels of the factor Season, to my opinion a "hard to change" factor is treated as a subplot effect? How is this Animals DOE created using Custom design? I can do this when using Species and Subject both as hard to change factors and Season as easy to change? Technically this works but I have problems with the time effect "Season" easy to change..

21 REPLIES 21
frankderuyck
Level VI

Re: "Animals" Split Plot DOE

IY= Season + Species + Season*Species + Subject[Species] is the required interaction model. How do you specify this in Custom design? 

statman
Super User

I'm sorry, this may not be the answer you want, but I would not use custom design to design the sampling plan.  The customer design platform is meant to design experiments not sampling plans.

Also, I will add not all split-plots are created to handle difficult to change factors (these are just convenience split-plots.  There are other times when you want to restrict randomization to improve the precision of the design (efficiency split-plots).  I create these manually in JMP.

For more on this see 

Box, G.E.P., Stephen Jones (1992), “Split-plot designs for robust product experimentation”, Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 19, No. 1

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
frankderuyck
Level VI

Is a DOE not meant to gather data, create a sampling plan to meet an objective? In this case assess whether there is a  difference in run difference between a fox & coyote. 

frankderuyck
Level VI

Suppose we're also interested in the effect of age & gender of both animals & all interaction effects and that #runs is restricted, some DOE support will be a help. 

statman
Super User

Yes all of these components can be assessed with sampling. DOE is when you manipulate factors in an “organized” fashion. There is no manipulation in the study you suggest.
"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
frankderuyck
Level VI

Strange.. in the JMP DOE tutorial, this case study is an example for a split plot design?

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Which DOE tutorial do you refer to?  Could you include a link?

frankderuyck
Level VI

frankderuyck
Level VI

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Okay this makes sense, both of those links refer to analyzing data containing split plots, not designing the experiment itself.  Split plots can show up in all sorts of places besides tables created with the custom DOE platform, and the animals data table is just such an example. To learn about designing experiments where different treatments are applied to the same experimental units I suggest setting the Animals data table aside and watching this talk by @DonMcCormack:

Split-Plot and Strip-Plot Designed Experiments