cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Georg
Level VII

jmp crash report for diagnostics

Dear all,

I (better some colleagues of mine and not me personally) have some Trouble with JMP Closing unexpectedly. We run JMP 15.1.0 on Win10, and also JMP Pro 15.0.0. Generally I do not have the Feeling that there is any stability issue with JMP when I'm using it. Usually, when my JMP Closes unexpectedly, I tried some dangerous Things :)

First I expect JMP Pro to behave similarly than JMP, because I think it should be exactly the same Code for the same operations. This is important for me, because I use JMP Pro, and most of my colleagues JMP. Is that Right?

The "crashes" seem to correspond to database query processes (via script "Update from Database" in a table generated origninally from database). We typically uses ODBC Connections to Oracle databases for that.

In These cases of JMP exiting unexpectedly I never found a crash report (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\JMPCrashReports). And therefore I've no idea how to help that users reporting These Problems.

In the JMP documentation library there is only one hit when searching for "crash", so I found no documentation on what is really going on when JMP Closes unexpectedly.

Here my Questions:

Do you have any Suggestion how I could help my colleagues that experience These "crashes"? How can I figure out, what triggered the "crash"? Of Course, when they do database queries, they make mistakes (as I do) writing/modifying the SQL Statements, but that usually triggers an error and not Closing JMP.

Is there any documentation on when the crash report is written, and what is written, and is there a "debug" mode of JMP that tells something more in this case to figure out the Problem?

Does executing the "debug mode" give some more Information on where the Problem is?

Thanks and BR, Georg

Georg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: jmp crash report for diagnostics

I believe you need to contact JMP Support about this

support@jmp.com

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

I believe you need to contact JMP Support about this

support@jmp.com

Jim
Georg
Level VII

Thanks Jim,

Maybe you're Right, and probably I will do, but I already know that they will ask for more Details, and currently I don't have that Details.

Georg
Craige_Hales
Super User

Start with the ODBC drivers perhaps

start menu, type data source...start menu, type data source...

Drivers tabDrivers tab

Maybe it will be an older version that has issues. Tech support will want to know the versions too. 

Craige
Georg
Level VII

@Craige_Hales thanks, you're Right I will have to tell which Driver is used.

But I don't think that this is the issue, because:

• generally the Driver works
  • we all have the same Driver, installed by IT as System DSN (so nobody can Change on his own)
  • only some People have These problems

My current Problem is how to gain additional Information regarding this issue. So I ask People having this Problem to tell me under what circumstances the crash occurs, but so far have no substantial answer.

One possibility is, that JMP crashes silently when using a script that starts two Background queries in parallell and waits for finishing of both. The Problem is, that JMP Ends without any trace why (that I could see).

Georg