cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Fusion
Level I

how to connect points with lines in graph builder?

In graph builder,After plotting the "Points",how to connect points with lines?I knew use "Smoother" or "Lines" to plot lines, but the lines don't connect the points. Just like the attached picture.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: how to connect points with lines in graph builder?

You can get what you want by selecting the "Row Order" check box.  Make sure your data are sorted in the row order you want the connections to be made through

roworder.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
txnelson
Super User

You can get what you want by selecting the "Row Order" check box.  Make sure your data are sorted in the row order you want the connections to be made through

roworder.PNG

Jim

I'm not getting the "Row Order" option when I create my graph. Is there another way to create the points?

I'm using JMP 16.1.0.

MathFiltersPony_0-1639005556591.png

Sorry, I meant to say another way to create the lines that connect to the points.

You must select the Line element either by clicking the icon above the plotting frame or by right-clicking in the frame and select Add > Line

SH
SH
Level I

As a long-time JMP user (since version 2.0), I have resisted until recently using the new Graph Builder since I was able to easily do what I needed with the now-legacy Overlay Plot functionality. Having recently upgraded to v16, it appears the legacy Overlay Plot function has been altered. Anyway I had been struggling to figure out how to get a simple connect-the-dots set of scatter plots. Your comment solved that problem. I do find it highly annoying that such a simple function is non-obvious, at least as compared to the "legacy" Overlay Plot.

Yes, it is another case of "it is easy if  you know how."

I suggest that you spend time in the Essential Graphing guide included in the JMP Documentation library. You can of course skip some sections about specific plots that you are not currently using. It is a different paradigm for making a plot than before, it is more flexible and powerful than any of legacy platforms.

Why are my tails connecting to each other, I have it separated by instrument type and I would like the connected points to only connect for that inst:

BeccaWoodard_0-1666898849328.png

BeccaWoodard_1-1666898884457.png

See the green - it connects the last point for the red line to the first point of the green line.

Eric_M
Level II

I have the same issue.  Ticking the row order checkbox, the last point of one group is connected to the first point of the next group, very frustrating.  Also notice there's no option for simple point value (or "none") under the line summary statistic drop-down menu.

Eric_M_0-1668493790534.png

txnelson
Super User

The issue should be resolved if you drag the column you are using as the Color option, to the Overlay box.  It will then treat each grouping as separate groups.

Jim