cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

formulations and their effects

Hi- I made 9 different chemical formulations using 6 ingredients (adding different wt% of each). I make a certain amount (g) of byproduct for each of the 9 formulations, the amount dependent upon how we formulate (ratios added). What would be the best way to analyze and make sense of the data? Ideally want to determine the best formulation to give the minimum amount of byproduct. I appreciate the help.

Tade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: formulations and their effects

Tade,

If you double-click your column what does your column information look like? I am curious to first ensure that you have the columns coded correctly. It should resemble this...12653_Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 4.10.18 PM.png

If it does resemble this then perhaps you do not have enough degrees of freedom to fit a Scheffe cubic. Have you just tried a main effects and two-way interactions (non-linear blends) model?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
shoffmeister
Level V

I would recommend to:

1. Visualize your data, e.g. using the graph builder. Use graphs to give you an idea in which direction the data leads you. Check for potential outliers as well.

2. Then try to find an adequate model in the "Fit Model"-plattform. Make sure to set all factors in the model to mixture using the little red triangle next to "Attributes" in the fit model plattform. The JMP help gives an intro to the analysis of mixture experiments: A Chemical Mixture Example

12622_mixture2.png

Overall you might want to read about Design of Experiments for Formulations (Mixture Designs) for future studies if you are not already aware of that topic.

Hope that helps,

Sebastian

louv
Staff (Retired)

Building on what Sebastian has said, I think it would be most useful to you to set up a "dummy" mixture design of your experimental situation so you can see the resulting formulation design and the resulting design data table. Your weight percents can be entered as fractions that add to unity (1). If you examine the column attribute metadata from that "dummy" experiment you can then mimic the column attribute metadata in your actual formulation experiment JMP file and have the appropriate visualization tools like the mixture profiler and prediction profiler to evaluate and see the scripted model associated with a mixture design.

Sebastian, Lou,

Thank you. I ended up using Scheffe polynomial in Mixture design. However, the Prediction Profile I am getting looks more like blank like this:

12661_pastedImage_0.png

What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Tade

It is impossible to know exactly why you see this without having the data. Best guess is that the range of Y-values shown on the profiler does not actually contain the responses. Try changing the Y-scale so that you can see the profile lines.

Dan Obermiller
louv
Staff (Retired)

Tade,

If you double-click your column what does your column information look like? I am curious to first ensure that you have the columns coded correctly. It should resemble this...12653_Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 4.10.18 PM.png

If it does resemble this then perhaps you do not have enough degrees of freedom to fit a Scheffe cubic. Have you just tried a main effects and two-way interactions (non-linear blends) model?

Thank you both for quick responses.

I tried changing the Y scale on the Prediction Profiler but didn't work. Here is my column information look like.

12662_pastedImage_0.png

For the model, I selected Scheffe Cubic and it listed all the interactions. I have five factors and nine different combinations.

Thanks.

I checked L PseudoComponent Coding for each column for factors.

12663_pastedImage_0.pngI

But I am getting the same results. No Y values no profile lines in the Prediction Profiler. Thanks for the help.

louv
Staff (Retired)

I believe based on the number of experiments you are adding too many terms in the model. Please try to back off and just look at the main effects.

joenhockman
Level II

Tade,

If you are using a Scheffe cubic with 5 mixture factors with 9 unique formulations then you have an over parameterized model, ie not enough df to estimate all terms.  If you would be willing to sanitize your JMP dataset and share then I think the guidance you could receive may help you get to a solution faster.  Also I am assuming those 9 runs did come from a properly designed mixture experiment which was generated to support a particular model.  If that is not the case, then estimability of any particular arbitrary mixture model may or may not be possible depending on how those 9 points cover the mixture space.  You have already received some great input from Lou and DanO so please do consider their feedback.