cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

excluded datapoints in graph builder

The option to "exclude" datapoints does not seem to work as expected when creating plots with the Graph builder. According to the manual:

"Note: Excluded data are not automatically hidden in plots even though they are excluded from calculations in text reports and graphs.

Using the Hide/Unhide command, you can suppress (hide) the appearance of highlighted points in scatterplots."

So I would expect "excluded" points (rows) to appear on plots but not be considered during analysis. Whereas "hidden" datapoints should not be on the plots.

excluded_points.jpgThe attached example shows a number of data points where the fourth is "excluded".
When plotting the data using the fit X by Y platform the result is as epxected (the fourth data point is on the plot but not taken into account for the fit). However, when using the "Graph builder" the point does not appear on the plot which seems unexpected. Why are the plots different?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: excluded datapoints in graph builder

I found this in the documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

in the Graph Builder chapter

The graph area and zones are the main body of Graph Builder. Your graph appears in the middle, and you drag variables into different zones. See “Graph Zones” on page93.

Note: Any excluded rows are hidden in graphs.

Jim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
txnelson
Super User

I found this in the documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

in the Graph Builder chapter

The graph area and zones are the main body of Graph Builder. Your graph appears in the middle, and you drag variables into different zones. See “Graph Zones” on page93.

Note: Any excluded rows are hidden in graphs.

Jim

Thank you. That means it is meant to be this way. (I still think it's not consitent and therefore confusing.)

In that case it might be helpful to update the help section in

Using JMP > JMP Reports > Use Markers > Exclude and Hide Markers
which currently includes a note:
Note: Excluded data are not automatically hidden in plots even though they are excluded from calculations in text reports and graphs.

It would be usedful to make clear that "plot" refers only to some plots (presumably to those generated from analysis platforms). So the data points will NOT show on plots created from the "Graph" menu (like graph builder, overlay plot...)
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @matthias_bruchh,

It's been some time since you posted, but your post was mentioned in another discussion just recently. In case it's still helpful, I wanted to let you know that there is a hidden option to show excluded rows in Graph Builder: while holding shift, click the Red Triangle > Show Excluded Rows. The excluded rows will now show on your plot as slightly transparent.

Show Excluded.gif

andersonmj2
Level IV

@julian - THANKS for this! I am generally pretty good about remembering to use shift to find hidden options, but had missed this one and just had an application where a user wanted to gather data from an entire part for various reasons, but only gather statistics on the 'region of interest'. This is perfect!
AxelFoolery
Level I

Hello -

Does the Shift-click option to reveal excluded rows still work as expected in JMP v14? I'm using JMP v14.3 and when I exclude data the data points (within GraphBuilder) and then select the "show excluded" the selected data points remain invisible. 

julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @AxelFoolery,

"Show Excluded" works as expected for me in JMP 14 and 15. Is it possible that your rows are both excluded and hidden? Hidden rows will never be shown in Graph Builder even if "Show Excluded" is toggled.

@julian 

manojkumarj
Level I

From the drop-down menu, if I click on 'show excluded rows', the line fits disappear from the graph builder plots; only the confidence interval regions show up, but not the line fits. Attached here are plots before and after showing the excluded rows. I would like to have the line fits (solid lines) as well as confidence interval regions to be in the plots while those data points excluded from fitting should still be shown in the plots. Any help is much appreciated.

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Are you joking me?  A hidden menu option to get graph builder to show excluded data points?  If I wanted them hidden I would have hidden them? 

And since they shouldn't be hidden, why hide the option to turn them on?

Maybe the answer is to just give us back the Overlay Plot platform. 

-Dave