Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

excluded datapoints in graph builder

Highlighted
matthias_bruchh

Community Trekker

Oct 27, 2015

The option to "exclude" datapoints does not seem to work as expected when creating plots with the Graph builder. According to the manual:

"Note: Excluded data are not automatically hidden in plots even though they are excluded from calculations in text reports and graphs.

Using the Hide/Unhide command, you can suppress (hide) the appearance of highlighted points in scatterplots."

So I would expect "excluded" points (rows) to appear on plots but not be considered during analysis. Whereas "hidden" datapoints should not be on the plots.

excluded_points.jpgThe attached example shows a number of data points where the fourth is "excluded".
When plotting the data using the fit X by Y platform the result is as epxected (the fourth data point is on the plot but not taken into account for the fit). However, when using the "Graph builder" the point does not appear on the plot which seems unexpected. Why are the plots different?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

I found this in the documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

in the Graph Builder chapter

The graph area and zones are the main body of Graph Builder. Your graph appears in the middle, and you drag variables into different zones. See “Graph Zones” on page93.

Note: Any excluded rows are hidden in graphs.

Jim
2 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

I found this in the documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

in the Graph Builder chapter

The graph area and zones are the main body of Graph Builder. Your graph appears in the middle, and you drag variables into different zones. See “Graph Zones” on page93.

Note: Any excluded rows are hidden in graphs.

Jim
matthias_bruchh

Community Trekker

Oct 27, 2015

Thank you. That means it is meant to be this way. (I still think it's not consitent and therefore confusing.)

In that case it might be helpful to update the help section in

Using JMP > JMP Reports > Use Markers > Exclude and Hide Markers
which currently includes a note:
Note: Excluded data are not automatically hidden in plots even though they are excluded from calculations in text reports and graphs.

It would be usedful to make clear that "plot" refers only to some plots (presumably to those generated from analysis platforms). So the data points will NOT show on plots created from the "Graph" menu (like graph builder, overlay plot...)