cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

downloading large columns from database via odbc

I'm have a sql column that is varbinary(MAX).  It seems that the column width for JMP is 65536, so I can't download the whole column. It doesn't seem to be an ODBC only issue.  

Currently I'm doing these one at a time by just grabbing substrings until they're all empty and concatting into an array. 

This takes FOREVER.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to optimize this?  I'm trying to avoid using python/sqlcmd/etc. to grab the blobs directly (avoiding JMP).  

Vince Faller - Predictum
15 REPLIES 15
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Re: downloading large columns from database via odbc

Thanks @Dahlia_Watkins 

Anyone in internet land know if there's a way to force the size to be given from the transact?  

My current implementation is abysmally slow (Subscripting in groups of 65536 and concatting together until the longest one has been taken care of) and I'm not allowed to change the driver; so I'm in a bit of a pickle.  

Vince Faller - Predictum
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Hey again @Dahlia_Watkins , any news if that feature request has gotten any traction?

Vince Faller - Predictum

Hello, @vince_faller

This issue should have been addressed in JMP 16.1. Please email support if you have tested this in 16.1 and still see the same behavior. 

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Ope, my bad.  Will do. Thanks. 

Vince Faller - Predictum
hardner
Level V

Just a note that this limitation does seem to have been removed in JMP16.1.  Thanks!

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Yep yep.  Much appreciated. 

Vince Faller - Predictum