cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Why does JMP 10 create a new instance of JMP when opening a data table?

I am using JMP 10.0.2.  Whenever i open a data table (from the desktop, an email, etc.) JMP launches a new instance of JMP instead of opening the data table within an existing instance.  Is there anyway to change this behavior?

18 REPLIES 18
txnelson
Super User

Re: why does JMP 10 create a new instance when opening a data table

Have you tried going to the Preferences and Resetting the Associations

File==>Preferences==>Window Specific

then click on the button at the bottom of the options labelled "Reset Associations"

Jim
Mo
Mo
Level III

Yes, I tried that. The association with theprogram is there, it just opens the new instance of JMP. My coworkers just installed JMP 15 as well, but did not uninstall JMP 14, and they did not encounter this issue, that is, when they clicked on a jmp data table in their file explorer, it would just open the data table in the already openversion of JMP. 

I'm wondering if the uninstallation of JMP14 messed something up...

Mo
Mo
Level III

I was able to make it work! After installing JMP15, everything worked fine. On uninstalling previous versions of JMP, when opening a jmp table from file explorer, windows would ask to select an app to open this file. When you do this through this windows prompt, it will cause a new occurence of JMP to open each time you open a jmp data table from file explorer. Resetting file associations didn't help, uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help - windows seemed to remember this choice, no matter what.

However, if right after the JMP 15 install and after the uninstall of the previous version you go to JMP 15/preferences/windows specific, and then reset the file associations there, this issue does not occur, and clicking on a JMP table in file explorer opens just the data table (with JMP already open), and not a new occurence in JMP. We were able to try this out as we had multiple coworkers installing 15 and uninstalling older versions.

SInce I had already done the windows propmted file association, I needed to go into the windows registry. We emptied the Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\JMP.Document\shell\open\command default value, and backed out, then went to JMP and reset the associations under preferences. It worked! The same value appeared in the registry again, but it worked. I can now, with JMP open, open up JMP data tables again from file explorer in the JMP version that is open without having multiple occurences of JMP open up. Just sharing in case someone runs into this, as it really bugged me, and took me a good portion of the day (and willing coworkers that didn't mind me doing stuff on their computers) to figure this out. 

mikehd
Level I

I'm having the same issue with JMP11.2 64bit. I had JMP9.0.2 installed in parallel for awhile. The multiple instance behavior only started when I uninstalled JMP9. I've gone thru the reset file associations instructions including manually merging the .reg into my registry but no change in behavior. Editing the reg key per the above (removing "%1") didn't work either.

I can't find any new settings in Preferences that would govern this behavior. I certainly don't need a unique JMP home window for each file I open.

JMP9 never exhibited this behavior. When I had JMP9 and 11 co-installed I didn't have this behavior. It was after I uninstalled JMP9 it started. I had to reassociated the file extensions at that time as well.

Hi mikehd,

this is an unusual behaviour. I tried to reproduce but couldn't. The ony time I got a new instance is the following:

I have both JMP 10 and JMP 11 on my machine, 11 installed obviously after 10. Let's say I'm working in my old version of JMP 10 because of a current Long-term Project. Now I want to open a new file by double clicking that file in the Explorer window. This new file launches JMP 11 as new instance.This is becuase the files are linked to the most current Version of JMP unless set otherwise by file associations.

I'd recommend to contact Support@jmp.com to follow up this behaviour. It would be great if you could post the reason for that behaviour in case they hopefully can help you to fix it.

Best, Martin

/****NeverStopLearning****/

Hi Martin,

I have been using JMP for 2 years but still couldn't find fix to this issue. I think JMP has fixed this issue while opening .jmp data in newer version but it still exists for other files.

Reproduce the problem: Associate .sas7bdat (or any other files like .csv, .txt etc) to open by default with JMP in windows 7. And now try opening multiple files.

Hi Gupta,

Besides the question why at all you want to default to JMP when opening files like .csv, .txt, .sas7bdat here is what I would say to that:

• If you have an instant open, just drag those files in any open JMP window and this will open the files in that session without opening new instances (I've tried this just a Minute ago to be sure)
  • Use File -> Open and select all files you want to open at the same time, click open and all should open in the same instance (also tried to be sure)

However although I realy do not see a good reason to have all kind of data files to be open in JMP automatically (besides just double clicking). if that's what you want to do I higghly recommend that you Change the way of opening multiple files. First start a JMP session and then drag and drop those files into any JMP Window.

As JMP will recognize JMP related files automatically I guess JMP is not set-up to handle or recognize other files automatically in the same instance. personally I wouldn't cound this as a bug. However you can Report this to our Support Team so the developers get that tracked in their System and can consider changing something for the future.

Hope this helps,

Martin

/****NeverStopLearning****/
sseligman
Staff

Re: Why does JMP 10 create a new instance of JMP when opening a data table?

Please review Problem Note 52261: New instance of JMP® is opened each time a new file is opened which discusses ways to correct this behavior. If none of the solutions resolve the issue, we recommend doing a full uninstall and reinstall of JMP.

ajandl
Level I

Re: Why does JMP 10 create a new instance of JMP when opening a data table?

This is not the solution to this problem, but is the solution to another problem not related to this one.