cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Why does JMP 10 create a new instance of JMP when opening a data table?

I am using JMP 10.0.2.  Whenever i open a data table (from the desktop, an email, etc.) JMP launches a new instance of JMP instead of opening the data table within an existing instance.  Is there anyway to change this behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sseligman
Staff

Re: Why does JMP 10 create a new instance of JMP when opening a data table?

Please review Problem Note 52261: New instance of JMP® is opened each time a new file is opened which discusses ways to correct this behavior. If none of the solutions resolve the issue, we recommend doing a full uninstall and reinstall of JMP.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: why does JMP 10 create a new instance when opening a data table

I believe you can correct this with the following.

• Exit out of all JMP sessions that are running
  • Run the JMP version you wish to use as the default JMP version (if you happen to have multiple JMP versions installed on your machine)
  • Go to File-->Preferences-->Windows Specific, then click on the Reset Associations button near the bottom of the dialog window

That should fix the Windows Registry to associate the current JMP session with JMP files.

Now try double clicking on your files and see if it behaves as expected.

Let us know if that fixes it.

-Jeff

-Jeff

I followed the instructions and the problem still exists.  I get multiple instances of JMP 10.0.2 when i open JMP data tables by double clicking on them instead of the data tables being open in the same instance of JMP 10.0.2.

Please try the steps outlined in this Winter 2011 JMPer Cable article, page 7:

http://www.jmp.com/about/newsletters/jmpercable/pdf/27_winter_2011.pdf

The steps outlined in that article should fix file type association issues for most cases.  However, if you still are having an issue, please follow up by submitting a Technical Support track with us.

Cheers,

-Win

rmurphy
Level II

I'm encountering a similar issue when trying to associate .csv files with JMP in Windows 7 environment.

I successfully associated the .csv file type with the JMP Application.  However, when I double click a .csv file, a new instance of JMP is launched - JMP, JMP [2], JMP [3], etc.

This does not happen when opening a .jmp data file, as .jmp files open into the "oldest" open JMP application running, e.g. JMP or JMP [2] if no JMP instance.

Is there something that needs to be added to the file assocation to force a .csv file to open into an already running JMP instance if available?

When reviewing the question and answers it looks to me they are not belonging to eacht other.

What I extract is: 

The File-associations in Windows are a way to tell wich program to start for that file. That is working well.
The answer getting back is about correcting those file-associations.

The question/issue is that clicking on file in Windows will open up a new program every time. That is quit normal behavior (try word or others).

The file association can tell wich program to start, it does not know and cannot know (random pid) whether a program is already running.

Only with a smart inter-process communication set up this can be solved. Question: Is JMP having this option?

Starting open a file from within a running program (JMP or ohters) does know itself the own procecess id, pid).

In that approach very easy to open up multiple files by himself. 
Solution:

Instead of double clicking the easiest approach could be drag-drop the file to a running JMP process.     

I disagree, each time you open an Excel file it doesn't launch a new instance of Excel.  This allows you to move data from worksheet to worksheet.

I found that the Widnows Registry was as follows (for Windows 7):

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\JMP.Document\shell\open\command = C:\Program Files\SAS\JMP\10\jmp.exe /shellopen "%1"

I changed this to:

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\JMP.Document\shell\open\command = C:\Program Files\SAS\JMP\10\jmp.exe /shellopen

This appears to fix the issue where it would open a new instance of JMP each time you double click on a file.

tghunt1
Level I

Thanks, this worked for me.  After installing jmp13 I started having multiple jmp Home windows open every time I opened a .jmp or .jsl file from windows explorer.  Using the various options to reset defaults in the Prefrerence windows did not resolve the issue.

Mo
Mo
Level III

I am having this isse after installing jmp15 on windows 10. The preferred program settings are set up correctly, I just don;t want all these versions of JMP open - and did not have this issue before installing version 15.

How do I get to this windows register where I need to make this change?