cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lwx228
Level VIII

Where is a complete tutorial on how to use JMP functions?

Dear all JMP experts: Where is a complete tutorial on how to use JMP function? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
lwx228
Level VIII

Re: Where is a complete tutorial on how to use JMP functions?

This function is very efficient.

Lag( :height, 2 );

I've been using the other one: 

:height[Index(Row()-2,Row()-2)]

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@lwx228,

image.png

Best
Uday
lwx228
Level VIII

Thank uday_guntupalli!

I don't understand that the "Col Moving Average" formula can't be found at 1 、and it can be found at 2,

There are many other functions in JSL that are harder to complete.

2018-12-30_20-47-30.png

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@lwx228,
       I guess you were looking under the incorrect section when looking in the case of a column formula. Here 

image.png

It will be helpful for you to get used to tapping into the resources that come with JMP. If you were to look into the Scripting Index, you would find : 

image.png

Additionally, resources like the Scripting Guide provide extensive detail on each topic.

Best
Uday
lwx228
Level VIII

Thank uday_guntupalli!
lwx228
Level VIII

For example, I don't know if this is a function:

Local
lwx228
Level VIII

2018-12-30_21-03-07.png

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Just a few comments to add to @uday_guntupalli response:

• From Help > Books > Using JMP,  Chapter 7, Formula Editor, shows the ins and outs of using the formula editor, especially some keyboard shortcuts to construct Match and other conditional formulas.  The last secion of this chapter provides example and tutorials.
  • Appendix A of this book, Formula Functions Reference is a 60+ page reference of the different functions.  
  • As @uday_guntupalli pointed out, using the JMP Help > Scripting Index > Functions is the easiest method to learn about functions.  Most examples contain a a Help button that links you to additional details. Some show multiple examples. See Functions > File > Open,  look for an upside down carat, ^,  (a menu pull down) to the right of Example 1. Functions manipulate  or find information about JMP objects, numbers (including Boolean 0,1), strings, lists, matrices, columns, displays and system files and produce (return) objects numbers, strings, lists, matrices, columns, displays and system files.