cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DaveLee
Level IV

Wait(0), Wait() vs. Wait(n)

I have a script that does many thing including creating a matrix from a datatable of ~17,500x40.   The entire scrpit works fine when I run in in sections but fails to create the matrix when I run it as a whole.  The issue appears to be at the step where m = dt << Get As Matrix();.  I've inserted wait(0), wait() and even wait(30) but nothing seems to fix the issue.  Any suggestions? Sorry I can't think of a way to share the code. 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: Wait(0), Wait() vs. Wait(n)

@DaveLee
          When you say, it fails to create a matrix - is it generating an error ? 

May be ensure that the table is current might also help ? 

Best
Uday
DaveLee
Level IV

Yes, I explicitly call the table. For example, the data table is named 'dt', I create the matrix by the following m = dt << Get As Matrix();. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@DaveLee
       Can you share the error ? Also - a sample of your data to see if this is reproducible ?

Best
Uday
DaveLee
Level IV

Sorry. I didn't answer your question. I do not get an error message but I've put in some checks to print to the log and stop seeing these after the matrix creation step.
Craige_Hales
Super User

If there are formula columns that need to be evaluated, adding dt<<RunFormulas; before accessing the data might help. 

Craige
DaveLee
Level IV

Thanks Craige, but the last step that finctions is just looping through a directory and cretaing a master file based on certain criteria. I know that data table is created.  The very next step is "Get As Matrix' which does not happen.  

It might be time to select Help > Books > Scripting Guide and review the section about formulas and formula management.

I advise against using formulas to populate data columns with a script unless it is necessary for the values to automatically update after the script is finished.

What do you mean by "looping through a directory and creating a master file?" What are the specific entities and actions involved?

Craige_Hales
Super User

and... is JMP still running (can you submit JSL, use menus, change windows?) or is JMP in a loop (check task manager) or did JMP crash?

Craige