cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DaveLee
Level IV

Wait(0), Wait() vs. Wait(n)

I have a script that does many thing including creating a matrix from a datatable of ~17,500x40.   The entire scrpit works fine when I run in in sections but fails to create the matrix when I run it as a whole.  The issue appears to be at the step where m = dt << Get As Matrix();.  I've inserted wait(0), wait() and even wait(30) but nothing seems to fix the issue.  Any suggestions? Sorry I can't think of a way to share the code. 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: Wait(0), Wait() vs. Wait(n)

@DaveLee
          When you say, it fails to create a matrix - is it generating an error ? 

May be ensure that the table is current might also help ? 

Best
Uday
DaveLee
Level IV

Yes, I explicitly call the table. For example, the data table is named 'dt', I create the matrix by the following m = dt << Get As Matrix();. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@DaveLee
       Can you share the error ? Also - a sample of your data to see if this is reproducible ?

Best
Uday
DaveLee
Level IV

Sorry. I didn't answer your question. I do not get an error message but I've put in some checks to print to the log and stop seeing these after the matrix creation step.
Craige_Hales
Super User

If there are formula columns that need to be evaluated, adding dt<<RunFormulas; before accessing the data might help. 

Craige
DaveLee
Level IV

Thanks Craige, but the last step that finctions is just looping through a directory and cretaing a master file based on certain criteria. I know that data table is created.  The very next step is "Get As Matrix' which does not happen.  

It might be time to select Help > Books > Scripting Guide and review the section about formulas and formula management.

I advise against using formulas to populate data columns with a script unless it is necessary for the values to automatically update after the script is finished.

What do you mean by "looping through a directory and creating a master file?" What are the specific entities and actions involved?

Craige_Hales
Super User

and... is JMP still running (can you submit JSL, use menus, change windows?) or is JMP in a loop (check task manager) or did JMP crash?

Craige