cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pauldeen
Level VI

Variability chart misbehaving on JMP 17.1?

When I generate a variability chart in JMP17.1 I get the question if I want to add Group means, when I enter ok and save the script it will contain a section to include the group means. Yet when I re-run that script it shows the same prompt again asking if I want to see the group means. Can anybody reproduce this problem? I did not have this problem in JMP16.

Example script:

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt << Variability Chart(
	Y( :height ),
	Model( "Main Effect" ),
	X( :name, :age, :sex ),
	Sigma Multiplier( 5.15 ),
	Variability Analysis(
		:height,
		Connect Cell Means( 1 ),
		Show Group Means( name, age ),
		Show Grand Mean( 1 ),
		Std Dev Chart( 0 ),
		Mean of Std Dev( 0 ),
		Group Means of Std Dev( 0 ),
		AIAG Labels( 0 ),
		Mean Plots( 1 ),
		Std Dev Plots( 0 )
	)
);

Pops up this window:

pauldeen_0-1686060883415.png

Which it shouldn't as it is already coded in the script.

I'm looking for a scriptable way to get the group means to show without it prompting the user.

6 REPLIES 6
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Variability chart misbehaving on JMP 17.1?

Does it help if you change the preferences in that platform? See yellow highlight below.

MRB3855_0-1686061907438.png

pauldeen
Level VI

No change

statman
Super User

AFAIK, that pop-up occurs for every version of JMP I have ever used.  I have it set in preferences as above and it will always show that popup.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
pauldeen
Level VI

I think it happens when you absorb all repeats in your factor structure. So single observartions per category. But still, the answer to the question is coded in the script so why bother the user? I'll submit it to support

statman
Super User

It happens when you want any summary means (e.g., cell, group, grand).  The popup allows the user to de-select those that are pre-set by preference.  It provides more options.  It takes a quick OK to get the plots you want.  I think it is a good feature, but to each his own.  In any case, this has been the behavior for at least the last 5 versions of JMP.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Desert_Rose
Level I

orig_pref =Get Platform Preferences();Set Platform Preferences(Variability Analysis(Show group means( 0 ))); //suppress setting in JMP 17

//Your Code

Eval(orig_pref); //return original preference

Hope this helps