cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
anne_sa
Level VI

Use label with a dendrogram built from a distance matrix

Hello everybody,

I want to run a Hierachical Clustering , with a distance matrix. In addition my individuals are part of different groups and I would like to display this information on the dendrogram.

For example here is my matrix distance:

Capture.JPG

Here is the dendrogram that I get, using the option "Data is matrix distance":

Capture.JPG

And I would like to have:

Image1.png

I tried to change the Value Labels property of the Individual column but with no sucess...

Any idea of how I could do that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Use label with a dendrogram built from a distance matrix

@anne_sa, I changed the name of the Individual to reflect its group e.g. I2 (G3).  Here is the result. It isn't identical to what you want, but it is simple and might be enough.

image.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@anne_sa, I changed the name of the Individual to reflect its group e.g. I2 (G3).  Here is the result. It isn't identical to what you want, but it is simple and might be enough.

image.png

anne_sa
Level VI

Thanks for your input! Indeed it's a way to display the required inforamtion. However if we want to use another information column we have to change again the name of all individuals and also the headers of the distance matrix columns, right?

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

There are only two ways that I can think of :

1.  Rename the variables and the Individual values, or 
  2.  Edit the report, by find all display boxes with the names then edit them. The structure of the dendogram is not as simple as XY graphics, so I chose #1.

As you know the column names must be unique and the column used to identify the matching row must match the column name. 

It will be interesting if one of the JMP experts has another solution.  Are you wanting the dendogram renamed and still interactive (live) or are you just wanting the "picture" (journal) to be renamed?

anne_sa
Level VI

I would like to keep the interactivity.

I think we can probably write a short script to automate the process you described (choose a Label column and rename in consequence the content of the column names and the columns of the distance matrix). It is not as quick as if we would have a dedicated field in the interface (like when we have the option Data as usual) but I guess it will do the job! :)

Another way to display the information is also to color the rows based on the desired Label column.