cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LZF
LZF
Level I

Update Data Tables

I' m running a script taking data from a shared MS Excel database. 

I run script to import data into JMP, and open graph builder to look at required data.

I find out some data has been left out of the database, meaning visualisation doesn't work properly, so have to go back and add it.

I then have to manually close graph builder and all the windows [Window > Close All Data Tables], then start the script again.

The script I'm praying exists out there will allow me to hit a script button and close all tables if there are any open and run the script again.

I'm guessing I'll need 2 buttons. One to open fresh data, and one to close tables and reload??

Or is there a way of updating open tables with fresh data addedx to the target database? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: Update Data Tables

@LZF
     Let us break down your question into parts: 

1. Updating data pulled into JMP from a database

2. Closing open data tables and re-running your script easily 

Depending on how frequently you want JMP to look for new data, the complexity might change, because if you want to JMP to periodically keep listening and updating the data it has pulled, it needs to be continuously listening and checking for new data which I think is a little more complicated and I don't know of an easy way to do that. 

On the other hand, regarding (2) - that should be very easy. The line of code below should close all the open data tables and if you rerun your script after the data has been updated in your database, you will retrieve all the data that you need in 1 line. 

Close All(Data Tables,"No Save"); 
Best
Uday

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@LZF
     Let us break down your question into parts: 

1. Updating data pulled into JMP from a database

2. Closing open data tables and re-running your script easily 

Depending on how frequently you want JMP to look for new data, the complexity might change, because if you want to JMP to periodically keep listening and updating the data it has pulled, it needs to be continuously listening and checking for new data which I think is a little more complicated and I don't know of an easy way to do that. 

On the other hand, regarding (2) - that should be very easy. The line of code below should close all the open data tables and if you rerun your script after the data has been updated in your database, you will retrieve all the data that you need in 1 line. 

Close All(Data Tables,"No Save"); 
Best
Uday
LZF
LZF
Level I

PERFECT!!!

As you can probably tell I'm a new user. Hoped it would be that simple. Looking on websites all I could find was CloseAllDataTablesExcept and obviously know how to close defined tables.

Script now works even if no data tables are already open. So just need one button for initial load up and updates.

Thanks!