cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Mikasa
Level II

The Data Filter window is not interacting in HTML

Hi

I have made a Html report with my graphs, using HTML5 Auto report Add-In. But the filter window is not interactive. Is there any way to make it work and be selective?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: The Data Filter window is not interacting in HTML

Hi @Mikasa

I learned from your earlier post: Create a HTML report for a script and outputs. that you are using JMP 14.

We built the Auto Report Add-in capability into JMP 14. So starting in JMP 14, you can access the same functionality from File > Publish. I mentioned some additional help resources in my reply to your previous post, but I'll repeat them here for anyone stumbling on to this post:

In JMP 14, Look for "Publish to File" in JMP Help. It in can be found under

Using JMP > Save and Share Data > Share Interactive JMP Reports on the Web.

See also:Sharing Interactive Web Reports in JMP® 14 ( US 2018 132 ) 

For JMP 15, see: Create a Web Report for information on publishing to a file, then scroll down to "Publish to JMP Public or JMP Live" if that interests you. 

If you are including a Data Filter rather than a Local Data Filter in your report, we don't support that yet, so it will not be interactive. If you are using a Local Data Filter, there a few things that would make it not work in Interactive HTML: 

1. We can't support including or excluding rows in Interactive HTML since such a change requires the statistics engine of JMP itself which is not built in to the Interactive HTML capability. This can only be supported with JMP Live or JMP Public  since they communicate with JMP on a server. However, if you check "Show" and uncheck "Include" in the Local Data Filter                                         John_Powell_JMP_0-1581531438630.png                                                                                                                        before publishing or saving as Interactive HTML, you should see the graph controlled by it change as you interact with it. 
  2.   If you use File > Publish and unchecked "Publish Data", the graph will not be interactive since the report without data is just a little more than a picture of the report you exported.
  3. Some graphs in JMP do not respond to the "Show" capability of the Local Data Filter. If you see no reaction in JMP with the "Show" mode checked and the "Include" mode unchecked, you will not see any reaction when you change the Local Data Filter in the Interactive HTML version.
  4. Some graphs, or specific conditions applied to graphs may be filterable in JMP, but are not filterable in Interactive HTML. In this case, there should be a message explaining why in JMP's log when you publish or save as Interactive HTML. 
  5. If you are using an older browser, like Internet Explorer or an old version of Edge, the HTML Local Data Filter will not be interactive. 

If none of these explain why your Local Data Filter is not interactive, please provide more details about the report you are trying to publish. If you are uncomfortable sharing the details here, please contact JMP Technical Support. 

Thanks, 

~John

View solution in original post

When you have the Dashboard open, Interactive HTML is saved differently from Windows and Mac:

• If you're running JMP on Windows, you can Find Save As in the File menu. If you select this, there will be an option to choose Interactive HTML and pick a location and file name.
    • If you're running  JMP on the Mac, you can use Export from the File menu.

With the Dashboard's red triangle button, not the Local Data Filter's red triangle button, chose Save Script > To Script Window. You can copy this script into another script.

The script command to save a report or dashboard as Interactive HTML is Save Interactive HTML(<path>) .

You can see it in use in this discussion: save report as interactive html 

As a new JMP user, you might find this blog useful:The 1st thing I wish someone had told me when I started using JMP: We are visual creatures 

As a JMP User trying to learn JSL scripting, you may find this blog useful:

The 1st thing I wish I knew when I started scripting: There are different kinds of scripts 

Actually, both of these are a series of blogs with links to many resources that help.

There are also many resources in the Help menu of JMP. The Scripting Index and the Scripting Guide under Help > Books is especially useful for scripting as is the Help > Scripting Index.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @Mikasa

I learned from your earlier post: Create a HTML report for a script and outputs. that you are using JMP 14.

We built the Auto Report Add-in capability into JMP 14. So starting in JMP 14, you can access the same functionality from File > Publish. I mentioned some additional help resources in my reply to your previous post, but I'll repeat them here for anyone stumbling on to this post:

In JMP 14, Look for "Publish to File" in JMP Help. It in can be found under

Using JMP > Save and Share Data > Share Interactive JMP Reports on the Web.

See also:Sharing Interactive Web Reports in JMP® 14 ( US 2018 132 ) 

For JMP 15, see: Create a Web Report for information on publishing to a file, then scroll down to "Publish to JMP Public or JMP Live" if that interests you. 

If you are including a Data Filter rather than a Local Data Filter in your report, we don't support that yet, so it will not be interactive. If you are using a Local Data Filter, there a few things that would make it not work in Interactive HTML: 

1. We can't support including or excluding rows in Interactive HTML since such a change requires the statistics engine of JMP itself which is not built in to the Interactive HTML capability. This can only be supported with JMP Live or JMP Public  since they communicate with JMP on a server. However, if you check "Show" and uncheck "Include" in the Local Data Filter                                         John_Powell_JMP_0-1581531438630.png                                                                                                                        before publishing or saving as Interactive HTML, you should see the graph controlled by it change as you interact with it. 
    2.   If you use File > Publish and unchecked "Publish Data", the graph will not be interactive since the report without data is just a little more than a picture of the report you exported.
    3. Some graphs in JMP do not respond to the "Show" capability of the Local Data Filter. If you see no reaction in JMP with the "Show" mode checked and the "Include" mode unchecked, you will not see any reaction when you change the Local Data Filter in the Interactive HTML version.
    4. Some graphs, or specific conditions applied to graphs may be filterable in JMP, but are not filterable in Interactive HTML. In this case, there should be a message explaining why in JMP's log when you publish or save as Interactive HTML. 
    5. If you are using an older browser, like Internet Explorer or an old version of Edge, the HTML Local Data Filter will not be interactive. 

If none of these explain why your Local Data Filter is not interactive, please provide more details about the report you are trying to publish. If you are uncomfortable sharing the details here, please contact JMP Technical Support. 

Thanks, 

~John

Mikasa
      Level II

Thank you @John_Powell_JMP 

Your response was very complete and detailed. 

I could make the filter interactive with Local data filter but the problem is I have a lot of graphs and with the same Column to be filtered but only one local data filter can not be connected to all. I do not know any way to share one to all. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks

If you build a JMP Application or Dashboard, you can add the Local Data Filter at the top level.

See this section of the Help to build a dashboard: 

Using JMP > Extend JMP > Combine Reports by Creating a Dashboard > Example of Creating a Dashboard with Two Reports

The same method can be used for more than two reports.

To add the Local Data Filter to the dashboard,

1. Click on the dashboard's top red triangle and select Edit.
      2. Then from the Sources panel drag in a Data Filter(Local) to the outermost box or the box just inside the Dashboard area. 
      3. Press the green triangle on the Dashboard Builder toolbar to run the Dashboard.
      4. Uncheck the Include mode of the Local Data Filter and test the Local data filter to make sure it affects two or more graphs in the dashboard. 

Save as Interactive HTML. 

~John

Mikasa
      Level II

Thank you @John_Powell_JMP 

I did all the same and I have the dashboard. I just could not find out how to save it as HTML.  Also, this report has  to get updated everyday. I tried to extract the Dashboard script and add to end of my own script but I could only add it as a new script in the data table. 

I do not know how to make a one script that can make my data table and run the dashboard and save it in HTML.

I am pretty new in JMP.  sorry if I am asking many questions.

Thanks

When you have the Dashboard open, Interactive HTML is saved differently from Windows and Mac:

• If you're running JMP on Windows, you can Find Save As in the File menu. If you select this, there will be an option to choose Interactive HTML and pick a location and file name.
      • If you're running  JMP on the Mac, you can use Export from the File menu.

With the Dashboard's red triangle button, not the Local Data Filter's red triangle button, chose Save Script > To Script Window. You can copy this script into another script.

The script command to save a report or dashboard as Interactive HTML is Save Interactive HTML(<path>) .

You can see it in use in this discussion: save report as interactive html 

As a new JMP user, you might find this blog useful:The 1st thing I wish someone had told me when I started using JMP: We are visual creatures 

As a JMP User trying to learn JSL scripting, you may find this blog useful:

The 1st thing I wish I knew when I started scripting: There are different kinds of scripts 

Actually, both of these are a series of blogs with links to many resources that help.

There are also many resources in the Help menu of JMP. The Scripting Index and the Scripting Guide under Help > Books is especially useful for scripting as is the Help > Scripting Index.

Mikasa
      Level II

Thank you @John_Powell_JMP 

I studied the material you mentioned and I leaned many a lot about JMP. And I could make a HTML and save it successfully.

I tried to schedule the script to be run everyday and save the HTML since I have to insert the HTML link in a webpage for daily report.

I am using ScriptHost Job manager, so I tried to make a WIJT-Script and the schedule it on Scripthost. 

I get an error that is related to Dashboard builder script  as below:

"

The following objects failed to initialize and have been removed from the application. 

Objects
      MainTabPage
      TabPage1
      TabPage2
      TabPage3"

I have tried the script without Dashboard part and it works  perfectly but after adding that part, it can not be done.

I searched to learn if there is any other way to automate script running every day is a certain time but no success.

Would you please tell me if there is an alternative way?

Thanks

This paper/tutorial: Automated Report Creation: From Data Import to Publication ( 2019-EU-TUT-079 )  discusses using the  Windows Task Scheduler to automate publishing to JMP Public, but the same technique can be applied to saving a report or dashboard as Interactive HTML.  

I hope you will also find the rest of the paper useful now, or in your future JMP automation efforts.

~John

JensRiege
      Level IV

Hi John,

Thank you for helping introduce us into interactive HTML graphs. I created a graph that plots product yield on the Y axis, by production lot on the X axis.

On the secondary Y axis I have "part". I created a local data filter to allow me to display the yield for selected individual parts. 

I unchecked the 'Include' box under Local Data Filter (which was not visible until I selected Show Modes in the Local Data Filter red triangle menu). When the file is saved as 'Interactive HTML with data' it does properly turn off the data points for parts not selected in the HTML version of the Local Data Filter.

Unfortunately, the graph's secondary Y axis does not remove the parts that I unselected, so the graph still has all parts displayed, just some have the data points turned off. Is it possible to have the graph collapse and expand interactively in HTML so that when I unselect a part, it is removed from the secondary Y Axis?

Thank you,

Jens

Hi Jens, 

For stand-alone, Interactive HTML(not JMP Live or JMP Public), you can only show and hide data in graphs, but not the axes or Graph Builder groups. To have sections of the axis collapse, you would need to exclude data. This can only be done with JMP itself, or when you publish to JMP Live or JMP Public where a version of JMP is running on the server to exclude and rebuild the axes and graphs with those parts excluded. 

The reason I suggest disabling the include mode before exporting to Interactive HTML is so that you can see what the behavior will be like in JMP before exporting. Without doing this, you will get different behavior between JMP and Interactive HTML in JMP 15 and below. In JMP 16, to avoid the confusion, the local data filter will only be enabled in Interactive HTML if you disable the exclude mode before exporting to Interactive HTML. You will see that with the include mode disabled, JMP does not collapse the secondary axis for items deselected from the local data filter. This behavior will be the same in Interactive HTML. 

In newer versions of JMP, if you are using Graph Builder, you will need to show modes, as you discovered, in order to disable the include mode.

If you are publishing to JMP Live or JMP Public, you wouldn't need to do this since the include mode is supported in JMP Live and JMP Public. However, you might still want to disable the include mode before publishing to JMP Live or JMP Public if you have a very large report and don't want local data filter actions to require making a call to the server every time the viewers of your report change the local data filter. The viewers of your report on JMP Live or JMP Public would still be able to enable include mode if they really want the include/exclude behavior and don't mind waiting for the call to the server.  

Thanks, 

~John