Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Test 3D Plot Tools on a Mac

@adamjacks pointed out that the 3D Plot Tools add-in is not configured to run on a Mac.  Is anyone with a Mac willing to test that the attached add-in works as expected? It would be nice to work out any bugs before updating that post.

6 REPLIES 6
statman
Super User

Re: Test 3D Plot Tools on a Mac

I'd be happy to test, but don't know what is to be expected.  Here is a png of the output of the Iris data table

Iris - Scatterplot 3D.png

Seems to load just fine and runs fine.  Tested on

1. Catalina JMP 16.2

2. Monterey JMP V 17

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

The two things that might have an issue are:

1. Saving an animated GIF - use the select file and make gif buttons on the bottom of the UI, and
  2. the tilt and rotate function, where dragging your mouse from within the blue areas in the 'Move Chart' section should move the scatterplot 3D window.

There are animations on this article 3D Plot Tools showing the expected output of the first item, and an animation showing how the second item should behave.

Thank you @statman

statman
Super User

Sorry, I might not know exactly what to expect, but when I select the make .gif button on the sample data with the same options as yours, On the Mac running Catalina (10.15.7) JMP V 16.2 all I get is a picture:

Scatterplot3D.gif

As far as scrolling, I can move by axis or rotate freely moving my mouse in the cube.

Here is what the output looks like:

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.25.47 PM.jpg

On the Mac running Monterey (12.5.1) with JMP V 17 when I select the Make .gif button, I get a shining gif output.  Eventually it saves it as a static .gif.  This is the default output without me trying to save the file as something special.

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @statman, it looks like I not only dropped this thread, but I forgot about it completely!  Here is an updated add-in, is there any chance you (or anyone else) could give the rotating gif function another go?  It should no create a rotating gif and then open it in the default editor, which is hopefully a browser or another application that will render it as an animation.  If it is static, opening it in chrome, firefox, or safari should show the spinning chart.

statman
Super User

Just running the Iris data table I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 7.48.13 AM.jpg

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Thank you @statman, I think I can work out where that is happening..

Isaac