cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tkutch
Level I

TOST Equivalence Test error

I followed the Equivalence Test (TOST) example but the output is different from the website.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/example-of-an-equivalence-test.shtml#w...

>= 6 p=0.0124

<= -6 p<.0001

My output:

<= 6 p=0.0124

>= -6 p<.0001

Essentially, the null hypotheses have been reversed so that rejecting corresponds to non-equivalence. The hypothesis on website appear accurate as rejecting the null indicates evidence that data is within the equivalence region. Why is my software reversing the hypothesis?

I am using JMP 13.2.0

3 REPLIES 3

Re: TOST Equivalence Test error

JMP uses alphabetic or numeric order by default except for a few special cases. Gender is not one of them. So the default order is F is first and M is second. That leads to the results shown in the on-line documentation.

This order is important. JMP will subtract the response of the second level from the response of the first level, so the mean height of sex = F from the mean height of sex = M.

If the order of the sex levels is reversed, then so is the difference (negated). I was able to reproduce your result by adding the Value Order column property and making M first and F second. Is that what you have for the order?

tkutch
Level I

@Mark_Bailey I have F first and M second in the Value Order column property. I tried switching the order (M first, F second) and yes the mean difference flipped, but the null hypothesis are still <=6 and >= -6.

I see. I cannot remember if the labelling of the null hypotheses was an issue in JMP 13. You should report this behavior to JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com). Please report here what you learn from them.