cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tkutch
Level I

TOST Equivalence Test error

I followed the Equivalence Test (TOST) example but the output is different from the website.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/example-of-an-equivalence-test.shtml#w...

>= 6 p=0.0124

<= -6 p<.0001

My output:

<= 6 p=0.0124

>= -6 p<.0001

Essentially, the null hypotheses have been reversed so that rejecting corresponds to non-equivalence. The hypothesis on website appear accurate as rejecting the null indicates evidence that data is within the equivalence region. Why is my software reversing the hypothesis?

I am using JMP 13.2.0

3 REPLIES 3

Re: TOST Equivalence Test error

JMP uses alphabetic or numeric order by default except for a few special cases. Gender is not one of them. So the default order is F is first and M is second. That leads to the results shown in the on-line documentation.

This order is important. JMP will subtract the response of the second level from the response of the first level, so the mean height of sex = F from the mean height of sex = M.

If the order of the sex levels is reversed, then so is the difference (negated). I was able to reproduce your result by adding the Value Order column property and making M first and F second. Is that what you have for the order?

tkutch
Level I

@Mark_Bailey I have F first and M second in the Value Order column property. I tried switching the order (M first, F second) and yes the mean difference flipped, but the null hypothesis are still <=6 and >= -6.

I see. I cannot remember if the labelling of the null hypotheses was an issue in JMP 13. You should report this behavior to JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com). Please report here what you learn from them.