Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Summary table dissociated from the source table?

dadagda

Community Trekker

Jul 12, 2013

Hi-

I'm a new JMP user and I've been taking some online tutorials and doing some simple practice with JMP.

Here's a simple question: when I create a summary out of a table (say, I choose to calculate the mean of a column), there's an option where I can choose to link the summary table to the original table.  I checked that, and then I got a new table with the mean of the column.  However, when I modified a number in the source table, it told me that "The source table has changed.  Summary table will be dissociated from it."

I thought if I chose to link the two tables, updating the source table will update the summary table?  Did I miss anything here?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

If you select, exclude, or hide a row in the summary table, the corresponding rows in the original table are selected, excluded or hidden. Same if you change row symbol or color in the summary table.

3 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

The Summary table is linked for row states only, not auto-updating of calculated values.

Sorry.

-Jeff

-Jeff
dadagda

Community Trekker

Jul 12, 2013

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the reply!  What did you mean by row states?  I thought you meant that if I remove a row from the source table, the summary table will update the change?  But I just tried and removing a row will also dissociate the summary from the source.

Thank you...

Solution

If you select, exclude, or hide a row in the summary table, the corresponding rows in the original table are selected, excluded or hidden. Same if you change row symbol or color in the summary table.