cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dadagda
Level I

Summary table dissociated from the source table?

Hi-

I'm a new JMP user and I've been taking some online tutorials and doing some simple practice with JMP.

Here's a simple question: when I create a summary out of a table (say, I choose to calculate the mean of a column), there's an option where I can choose to link the summary table to the original table.  I checked that, and then I got a new table with the mean of the column.  However, when I modified a number in the source table, it told me that "The source table has changed.  Summary table will be dissociated from it."

I thought if I chose to link the two tables, updating the source table will update the summary table?  Did I miss anything here?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Summary table dissociated from the source table?

If you select, exclude, or hide a row in the summary table, the corresponding rows in the original table are selected, excluded or hidden. Same if you change row symbol or color in the summary table.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The Summary table is linked for row states only, not auto-updating of calculated values.

Sorry.

-Jeff

-Jeff
dadagda
Level I

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the reply!  What did you mean by row states?  I thought you meant that if I remove a row from the source table, the summary table will update the change?  But I just tried and removing a row will also dissociate the summary from the source.

Thank you...

mpb
mpb
Level VII

If you select, exclude, or hide a row in the summary table, the corresponding rows in the original table are selected, excluded or hidden. Same if you change row symbol or color in the summary table.