cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Shujinko
Level III

Standard Error of Regression for a Fit Model

I used the Fit Model platform to generate a regression model for my data.  I would like to find the standard error of regression (S) so I can roughly estimate if my regression model is precise enough to my needs, e.g. I need my model precision to be within +/- 5% of the actual values to be useful.   

I know that Minitab offers this value S along with the R^2, and I know that JMP offers standard error estimates for individual parameters.

1.  Does JMP indicate what S would be for the model and if so am I just missing it?

2.  If it doesn't offer it, could I go about calculating it from the existing values JMP gives?

I have attached an image of my analysis.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
statman
Super User

Re: Standard Error of Regression for a Fit Model

Sorry, I may be confused by your question, but do you mean RMSE?  If so, yes this is part of the Summary of Fit along with R-Square and R-Square Adj.  Whether or not this is useful for your application is a different question.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
statman
Super User

Sorry, I may be confused by your question, but do you mean RMSE?  If so, yes this is part of the Summary of Fit along with R-Square and R-Square Adj.  Whether or not this is useful for your application is a different question.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

@statman is correct. The Minitab "standard error of regression" is also known as the Root Mean Square Error (RMSE). It is in the Summary of Fit report that JMP provides, right near the RSquare values.

Dan Obermiller