cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Source Code Documentation

I currently use NaturalDocs to automatically generate HTML-based documentation of the JSL code that I write.  I works fairly well with simple comment-markup within the code:

naturaldocs.PNG

I'm currently setting up a new dev environment and it's an opportunity to review the tools within my workflow.  I just wondered if anyone has any other thoughts on documentation-generation tools for JSL?

-Dave
5 REPLIES 5
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Source Code Documentation

I started down this path with DOxygen (I use a spin off, roxygen2, extensively in R) but didn't get far enough to deploy anything with JSL. NaturalDocs seems like a good fit.

pmroz
Super User

NaturalDocs looks very interesting.  Thanks for making us aware of it!

Slight branch to this discussion: here are some open source utilities that I find indispensable for program development:

TortoiseSVN: Helps programmers manage different versions of the source code for their programs (source code control system).  Apache™ Subversion (SVN)® client, implemented as a Windows shell extension.

Notepad++: Windows Notepad on steroids.  Syntax colorization for most languages.

Kdiff3: Windows-based diff program.  Great for finding and merging differences between two or three files or directories. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@David_Burnham
       I tried to take cue and install Natural Docs. After setting it up the way detailed here (http://www.naturaldocs.org/getting_started/getting_set_up/#starting_a_new_project) , when I try to run configure to generate documentation , I get the follow ing 
image.png
However, as instructed , I did provide the input folder and output folder - Any thoughts on what I did wrong ? 

Best
Uday
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

@uday_guntupalli I'm going ahead and installing it on a new computer.  I'm happy to document and share the procedure once it's complete it(I had to extend the configuration to handle the JSL language).

-Dave
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

I've just installed on a new PC - attached is a description of the process

-Dave