cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Source Code Documentation

I currently use NaturalDocs to automatically generate HTML-based documentation of the JSL code that I write.  I works fairly well with simple comment-markup within the code:

naturaldocs.PNG

I'm currently setting up a new dev environment and it's an opportunity to review the tools within my workflow.  I just wondered if anyone has any other thoughts on documentation-generation tools for JSL?

-Dave
5 REPLIES 5
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Source Code Documentation

I started down this path with DOxygen (I use a spin off, roxygen2, extensively in R) but didn't get far enough to deploy anything with JSL. NaturalDocs seems like a good fit.

pmroz
Super User

NaturalDocs looks very interesting.  Thanks for making us aware of it!

Slight branch to this discussion: here are some open source utilities that I find indispensable for program development:

TortoiseSVN: Helps programmers manage different versions of the source code for their programs (source code control system).  Apache™ Subversion (SVN)® client, implemented as a Windows shell extension.

Notepad++: Windows Notepad on steroids.  Syntax colorization for most languages.

Kdiff3: Windows-based diff program.  Great for finding and merging differences between two or three files or directories. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@David_Burnham
       I tried to take cue and install Natural Docs. After setting it up the way detailed here (http://www.naturaldocs.org/getting_started/getting_set_up/#starting_a_new_project) , when I try to run configure to generate documentation , I get the follow ing 
image.png
However, as instructed , I did provide the input folder and output folder - Any thoughts on what I did wrong ? 

Best
Uday
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

@uday_guntupalli I'm going ahead and installing it on a new computer.  I'm happy to document and share the procedure once it's complete it(I had to extend the configuration to handle the JSL language).

-Dave
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

I've just installed on a new PC - attached is a description of the process

-Dave