cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
notoriousapp
Level III

Simple method to copy multiple column properties to a new data table?

I need to copy the column properties for 82 columns to a new data table which has the same number of columns and same column names.  I seem to remember in the past that there was a quick and simple method, using a few mouse clicks and GUI interface (non-scripting method) to do this.  I don't see these options anymore in any of the menus or sub-menus.  Am I making this up, did this capability never exist in previous version of JMP? 

I've tried verious permutations of copy --> paste, or copy --> Paste Multi Columns Properties....nothing works.  The only column properties that are different between my copy-from and copy-to table are the Data Type and Modeling Type.

Note: I've already read this discussion but it only discusses using a scripting method: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Copying-column-properties-from-one-data-table-to-another/td...

I'm using JMP Pro 14.1.  Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Simple method to copy multiple column properties to a new data table?

The simplest method in this case might be to save the data table under a new name and replace the rows with new data.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

If you select multiple columns you can right click at the top and Copy Multi Columns Properties and then do the same in the target data table and Paste Multi Columns Properties.

JMPScreenSnapz264.png

-Jeff
notoriousapp
Level III

@Jeff_Perkinson: That's the option I was looking for but it doesn't exist in the Windows 14.1 version.  Have a look at my attached image, those are the only options available to me.  I was sure I'd seen that option there in the past.

@Mark_Bailey: I did try to paste new data into an existing table but the incoming data will not paste due to data type conflicts.

Multi-Column Copy Is Not There.png

txnelson
Super User

The Copy Multi Column Properties isn't showing up, because the column you are referencing in your right click, does not have any column properties to copy

Change to a column that has the properties you want to copy, and the option will show up

Jim
notoriousapp
Level III

@txnelson: Makes sense.  I'm mixing up my definition of terms.  You're correct, my column's don't have any properties, it's the attributes I'm trying to copy to new columns.  Specifically, the Data Type and Modeling Type attributes.  Sorry for the confusion.  Is there a way to copy the attributes?

txnelson
Super User

yes....if you select the columns you want to standardize, using the columns panel at the left of the data table, you can right mouse click on the selected columns and specify to Standardize Attributes.

Jim
notoriousapp
Level III

@txnelson: I'm aware of that feature and that won't work either.  Acorss the 82 columns, there is a mix of different Data Type and Modeling Type, additionally, there are numerous different date and number formats, etc.  I wish it was as easy as just standardizing all attributes to be the same.  While I could use the Standardize Attributes attributes for 2 columns here, 4 columns there...it makes the process much more tedious, labor intensive and prone to error.

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

I would lean towards Mark solution - in cases like this sometimes I just subset a table with the first row (so I can keep formulas or in your case data types) and then add the new data. Have you tired concatenate? I think this will work. Take your table that you like...subset out the first row. From that table select Tables>Concatenate and then select the table you want to "fix", add it to the list, select "append to first table" and then OK....see if the new table is what you are looking for. Just remember to then delete row #1.
notoriousapp
Level III

@KarenC: thanks for the input but this won't work either.  In fact, I tried this before making my original post.  The table I'm pasting into will not allow me to paste in the data from my other source since the data types don't match.  Before pasting the data, there was quite a bit of work to review and set each column attribute in my original table.  Obviously, if I'd kown that I'd need to paste additional data in later I wouldn't have spent the time setting the attributes but, that's the real world.

Sounds like the capability I'm requesting doesn't exist.  Plese accept this as a feature request for future versions of JMP.