cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jmptastic
Level I

Showing the marker theme specified by Color or Mark by Column in the Graph Builder legend

When not using graph builder, it's easy to right click on graph and select row legend, select column, markers, alphanumeric. But I don't see how to do it with graph builder?

I can use mark by column in the datatable to mark as alphanumeric; but when this is graphed in graph builder, although the symbols in the graph are maintained as alphanumeric, the legend doesn't show the alphanumeric symbol, just the dot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Is it possible to change the marker theme in graph builder?

Starting with JMP 12.0, Graph Builder will show the table's row markers in the legend if they are consistent with the legend's variable. That is, if you use the alphanumeric theme in the Mark By Column dialog and use the same variable in the Overlay role in Graph Builder, it will use those markers in the graph and show them in the legend.

8794_alpha1.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pmroz
Super User

You can right click on an entry in the legend and select Marker >

8792_GB Marker.png

jmptastic
Level I

Thanks, but that will not change the overall marker theme. Lets say I wanted to change the theme to alphanumeric, how would I do this?

XanGregg
Staff

Starting with JMP 12.0, Graph Builder will show the table's row markers in the legend if they are consistent with the legend's variable. That is, if you use the alphanumeric theme in the Mark By Column dialog and use the same variable in the Overlay role in Graph Builder, it will use those markers in the graph and show them in the legend.

8794_alpha1.png

Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

I apologize for some Friday afternoon frivolity, but if you've ever asked yourself "How many markers does JMP actually have?", you can test your patience and discriminatory capabilities with this script:

Markers_dt = New Table( "Marker Codes",

Add Rows( 5000000 ),

New Column( "Marker Number", Numeric, Formula( Row() ) ) );

For( i = 1, i <= N Row( Markers_dt ), i++,

Marker Of( Row State( i ) ) = i );

After all, one may not want to constrain oneself with a Western alphanumeric marker theme!