cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Saving files as images with high resolution

I need to be able to save my JMP files as images with a high resolution for printing. As far as I can tell (I am a new user), images (tiff, jpeg, etc.) are always saved with a dpi of 96, whereas I need a resolution of at least 300 dpi in order to have acceptable images for my manuscript's print publication. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Saving files as images with high resolution

I've seen two basic approaches.

1) Make the graph really big in JMP, including making the fonts, markers and line thicknesses bigger. Save it as an image and call it 300 dpi for the original size. For instance if your original is 2" x 3" (192 x 288 pixels), increase it to 600 x 900 pixels and call it 300 dpi after saving it.

2) Export it from JMP using a resolution-independent format, like EMF, EPS, PDF or SVG. The publisher may be happy with that. If not,you can convert the it to an image at the desired resolution. You can get EMF (Enhanced Meta-File) from copy-paste in Windows. You can get EPS or PDF via a printer driver in Save File mode. You can get SVG directly from Save As in JMP.

Thank you! This is very helpful. The #2 option -- copying and pasting -- worked best for me. I appreciate your help!
johndoee
Level I

what kind of  image app are you using?   i appreciate those image app with high resoluation.

olivier_h
Level I

I think you can set that in JMP Preferences in the Windows Specific section. The copy/drag graphic formats will allow you to always have 300 dpi pictures when you copy or drag JMP stuff.

3463_JMP_settings_dpi.png

sseligman
Staff

There is an option to save files with high resolution (300 dpi) on Windows machines. Go to File > Preferences and choose the Windows Specific preference group. In the Copy/Drag Graphics Formats section, select 300 from the drop down menu next to "Resolution (DPI) for PNG and JPEG images."

You may also try the Set Output DPI available on the JMP community file exchange: Set Output DPI.

jpmontagne
Level III

I have an easy Mac solution, for those (like me) who are still searching this question and come upon this old thread.

1. Copy the graph in JMP (either the one you've created in Graph Builder or from any analytical output)

2. Open Preveiw (Apple's built in PDF & image viewer).

3. Open a new Preview window (File > New from Clipboard, or use the shorcut N).

4. Next, choose File > Export

5. Choose your preferred format (options are HEIC, JPEG, JPEG-2000, OpenEXR, PDF, PNG, TIFF as of Sept 2019)

6. You can adjust the quality and/or resolution for all but PDF formats.

Even though this is an old thread, I still had this question this morning (Sept 2019), so I hope this helps other Mac users out there!