cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
albiruni81
Level II

Samples required to determine Normal Distribution Plot

Dear JMP,

May I know is there a minimum number of samples that is required before we can actually use to determine whether the sampes that we have falls under the normal distribution category. 

I have a sample of 10 datas is this sufficient to show whether all these data falls under the normal distribution category

Rgrds

Irfan

16 REPLIES 16
albiruni81
Level II

Re: Samples required to determine Normal Distribution Plot

Dear Mark,

I guess there is no way I can do this two outlier test using JMP 5 version right

Why not?

Instead of guessing, why don't you use the links that I provided, read the descriptions and instructions, download the scripts, and try them with your 9 observations? Did you try it? Why won't it work?

albiruni81
Level II

Hi Mark,

Sorry, but i thought the script was built in your jmp version, so when I check in my jmp version i didnt see the outlier test function so I assume that my version does not have it. I'm stil new with the JSL capability.

Here is the screenshot of my data but I dont see the Dixon outlier test summary statistic in my plot, any reason for this?Is it because it indicates that there are no outliers from my distribution

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 15 12.36.jpg

Rgrds

Irfan

Download the script from the link I gave you. Open your data table. Open the script. Run the script. (Various ways: Select Edit > Run Script, press Ctrl-R (Windows) or Cmd-R (Macintosh), click the Run Script button in the toolbar, or right-click in the script editor and select Run Script.l) Now you should be able to follow the instructions provided in the links to select the data column for analysis and proceed.

albiruni81
Level II

Dear Mark,

I have tried you suggestion and able to run the script as what you show in the example. 

ScreenHunter_04 Jun. 20 10.40.jpg

But when i run the analysis, my distribution plot does not show the outlier analysis, is it because there are no outliers?

ScreenHunter_05 Jun. 20 10.40.jpg

Rgrds

Irfan

You have not done anything wrong. The Dixon test results should appear regardless of the presence of an outlier. The portion of the script that adds a custom report for the outlier analysis to the Distribution platform is (apparently) incompatible with JMP 5. I don't have this old version of JMP so I can neither confirm this conclusion nor determine a work-around. JMP 5 is about fifteen years old.

albiruni81
Level II

ok mark, thanks anyway for your help