cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ylee
Level III

Row attributes lost when Joining data tables

Hello,

I have a main data table (dt1) where I'd like to Join it with another data table (dt2).

The main data table (dt1) contains some row attributes where certain rows are Excluded, certain rows are marked with specific Markers and Colours.

When both data tables are joined, producing a new data table (dt3), this new data table no longer hold the row attributes mentioned above.

Does anyone know how to join dt1 and dt2 while keeping the row attributes in dt1 intact?  I would use this in JSL too.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Row attributes lost when Joining data tables

A Row State Column is used to store row states and will be preserved across table operation.

UG_ColumnInfo_2.png

Create a new column and give it a Row State Data Type.

JMPScreenSnapz075.png

Then you can click on the star in the columns panel of the data table and choose "Copy from Row States" to capture the current row states.

JMPScreenSnapz076.png

-Jeff

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

A Row State Column is used to store row states and will be preserved across table operation.

UG_ColumnInfo_2.png

Create a new column and give it a Row State Data Type.

JMPScreenSnapz075.png

Then you can click on the star in the columns panel of the data table and choose "Copy from Row States" to capture the current row states.

JMPScreenSnapz076.png

-Jeff
ylee
Level III

Thanks Jeff, it works!

TomHerman
Level I

I'm a relatively new user that had the same question.

While it's true that the Row State Column was preserved after a I did a Table Join,  the _actual_ Row States were cleared.

How can I make the _actual_  RowState of the new, joined table automatically update to reflect the information contained in the Row State Column? 

(Note that I'm working in the interactive GUI, not JSL, and want to keep using only GUI, for now.)

ScreenHunter 004 2018-12-31 13.56.png

TomHerman
Level I

The attached imiage file in my previous post is a screenshot of my joined data table, showing how the actual Row State didnt update after the table join.

I fumbled, but couldnt get the screenshot to display inline with the text of my post.

txnelson
Super User

You apparently followed Jeff's example from above and generated a column with the Modeling Type of "Row State" and then right clicked on the red star for the new column and selected "Save from Row States".  Once you complete the join of your tables, you can then go to the column that you saved the row states to, and this time after to right click on the red star, select "Copy to Row States". 

Jim
TomHerman
Level I

Thanks!