cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
john_madden
Level VI

Relative path in Link References?

I have a folder of a half-dozen tables that are virtually joined with each other. When I move the folder or give a copy of the folder to someone else, it seems the Link References break, and need to be re-established. It seems I should be able to enter the Link Reference as a relative file path and it shouldn't break. Is there a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Relative path in Link References?

If the tables are in the same folder the links will be relative.

You can verify by running:

:Column << get script();

If you have the tables in the same folder you'll get something like this:

New Column( "Column",
	Numeric,
	"Nominal",
	Format( "Best", 12 ),
	Set Property(
		"Link Reference",
		Reference Table( "Table.jmp" )
	),

If they are in different folders, you'll get the full path. If you want the files in different folders, but still want to perserve the "relativeness" i.e. the person you are sharing the results with will have a similar folder structure but on their hard drive, you can use the same Set Property script to set the relative path i.e.

Column << Set Property ("Link Reference", Reference Table ("relative/path/table.jmp").

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

If the tables are in the same folder the links will be relative.

You can verify by running:

:Column << get script();

If you have the tables in the same folder you'll get something like this:

New Column( "Column",
	Numeric,
	"Nominal",
	Format( "Best", 12 ),
	Set Property(
		"Link Reference",
		Reference Table( "Table.jmp" )
	),

If they are in different folders, you'll get the full path. If you want the files in different folders, but still want to perserve the "relativeness" i.e. the person you are sharing the results with will have a similar folder structure but on their hard drive, you can use the same Set Property script to set the relative path i.e.

Column << Set Property ("Link Reference", Reference Table ("relative/path/table.jmp").

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt
john_madden
Level VI

Thanks! I think my problem is/was being inconsistent about moving the files around only as an intact folder.
john_madden
Level VI

I wish there were a path variable in JMP that would dynamically point to the location of the file in the current front window. I use Oxygen for XML editing, for example, and it has the following path variables (copied from Oxygen manual):

${cf} - Current file as file path, that is the absolute file path of the current edited document.
${cfd} - Current file folder as file path, that is the path of the current edited document up to the name of the parent folder.
${cfdu} - Current file folder as URL, that is the path of the current edited document up to the name of the parent folder, represented as a URL.
${cfn} - Current file name without extension and without parent folder. The current file is the one currently opened and selected.
${cfne} - Current file name with extension. The current file is the one currently opened and selected.