cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
none1
Level I

Regression Analysis

Hello Everyne. 

One new question: I have a regression line (please see attachment)  Y xs X. 

I have calculated the confidence intervals for Y as a function or X. 

However based on this fit, when I want to get the confidence intervals of X how do I calculate them. 

The reason for this question is that ofter times we obsere a response (Y) and then read back the X value from the regression line. Therefore when an X value is read out of this regression line, it should theoretically also have a confidence interval ? 

I am much obliged for your kind assistance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Regression Analysis

This is known as inverse prediction or the calibration problem. You have a standard curve and correctly fit Y (response) versus X (known levels). This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used. Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Enter your Y column in the Y role, enter your X column as an Effect, and click Run. Click the red triangle at the top and select Estimates > Inverse Prediction. Choose your confidence level and your desired type of interval. Enter up to eight Y values. Finally, use the option at the bottom to indicate if you want an interval estimate for the mean X (default) or the individual X value (check the box).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

You can get the confidence interval for your X variable by running the Distribution Platform.

See Mark's response below

Jim
none1
Level I

Hi there, 

You mean distribution  X as Y   (right) ?

But this is not very helpful, it generates no meaningful report.  I would be obliged for your assistance . 

This is known as inverse prediction or the calibration problem. You have a standard curve and correctly fit Y (response) versus X (known levels). This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used. Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Enter your Y column in the Y role, enter your X column as an Effect, and click Run. Click the red triangle at the top and select Estimates > Inverse Prediction. Choose your confidence level and your desired type of interval. Enter up to eight Y values. Finally, use the option at the bottom to indicate if you want an interval estimate for the mean X (default) or the individual X value (check the box).

none1
Level I

This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used.

Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead.

Sorry, could not find this platform ?

txnelson
Super User

The platform that Mark is referring to is:

Analyze==>Fit Model

Within it you can choose the Least Squares

Jim