cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
none1
Level I

Regression Analysis

Hello Everyne. 

One new question: I have a regression line (please see attachment)  Y xs X. 

I have calculated the confidence intervals for Y as a function or X. 

However based on this fit, when I want to get the confidence intervals of X how do I calculate them. 

The reason for this question is that ofter times we obsere a response (Y) and then read back the X value from the regression line. Therefore when an X value is read out of this regression line, it should theoretically also have a confidence interval ? 

I am much obliged for your kind assistance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Regression Analysis

This is known as inverse prediction or the calibration problem. You have a standard curve and correctly fit Y (response) versus X (known levels). This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used. Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Enter your Y column in the Y role, enter your X column as an Effect, and click Run. Click the red triangle at the top and select Estimates > Inverse Prediction. Choose your confidence level and your desired type of interval. Enter up to eight Y values. Finally, use the option at the bottom to indicate if you want an interval estimate for the mean X (default) or the individual X value (check the box).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

You can get the confidence interval for your X variable by running the Distribution Platform.

See Mark's response below

Jim
none1
Level I

Hi there, 

You mean distribution  X as Y   (right) ?

But this is not very helpful, it generates no meaningful report.  I would be obliged for your assistance . 

This is known as inverse prediction or the calibration problem. You have a standard curve and correctly fit Y (response) versus X (known levels). This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used. Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead. Select Analyze > Fit Model. Enter your Y column in the Y role, enter your X column as an Effect, and click Run. Click the red triangle at the top and select Estimates > Inverse Prediction. Choose your confidence level and your desired type of interval. Enter up to eight Y values. Finally, use the option at the bottom to indicate if you want an interval estimate for the mean X (default) or the individual X value (check the box).

none1
Level I

This result is available but not in the Bivariate platform that you used.

Use the Fit Least Squares platform instead.

Sorry, could not find this platform ?

txnelson
Super User

The platform that Mark is referring to is:

Analyze==>Fit Model

Within it you can choose the Least Squares

Jim