cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Reducing a model to only one-two terms

Hello all,

I'm currently analyzing a 4 factor half-factorial design. My pareto chart is indicating that only one-two main effects for given responses are significant. Would it be acceptable to remove the remaining insignificant main effect and interaction terms from the model?

I've trialed this, by reducing the model as described above. The R2 and Adjusted R2 are close (0.68 vs 0.63), so not fantastic. However, I don't think I should be adding in the insignificant terms and risk overfitting the model. Could anybody advise? 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
statman
Super User

Re: Reducing a model to only one-two terms

Without seeing the other diagnostic information or the actual output from your experiment, it is difficult to give a specific set of advice.  That being said, it would typically be appropriate to remove insignificant terms from the model.  Do the results make sense?  Are the factors practically significant? How do the results compare to your predictions? How much did the R-square adj change when you removed the terms?  What do the residuals look like?  Leverage plots? What happened to the RMSE?

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box