cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
terapin
Level VI

Real-time data display

I'm wondering if JMP Pro has some instructions and capabilities that allow users to automatically run various scripts to pull data from a SQL database and update data displays (HTML or otherwise) at user specified frequencies?  I've been digging through the various manuals and haven't found anything that indicates that this capability exists within JMP Pro.  Am I trying to get JMP to do something it wasn't designed for or just missing the key section(s) of the JSL references that might indicate how I can pull this off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mzwald
Staff

Re: Real-time data display

You would want to create a JSL script which pulls your dataset, generates your analysis, and saves it out as a web report. Once you have that script created, you can then setup a Windows task scheduler to run the script on the desired time frequency. To run a JMP script from the command line, just include the script file when starting JMP, ex. "C:\path_to_jmp\jmp.exe script.jsl". I would imagine Mac has a similar feature.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
G_M
G_M
Level III

@terapin if the users in question have acces to JMP, then yes, no problem.

There are several ways to approach.  Perhaps the quickest way to get going is to use JMP Query Builder

to define the SQL, then you can use the resulting data table to create the visuals or data displays, save the JSL for the displays

then incorporate the JSL into the Query Builder platform.

If they don't have JMP, then JMP Live seems like a great option.

There are other appraches as well, but I think query builder may be the best way to get familiar.

Hope this is helpful.

MG

terapin
Level VI

Thanks G_M,

Regarding your suggestion, is the Schedule() command the only way to execute JSL script without a user manually executing the script beyond the initial execution?

G_M
G_M
Level III

@terapin You can run a JMP script through a batch file and execute the batch file through your task scheduler. I have a couple of jobs that work like this and they are very reliable. Only hiccup I ever have is when the password on the machine expires I needs to update the password in the task scheduler. I am not very familiar with the Schedule() function. Search the JMP Discussions for an example of running a JSL file from a batch file.
mzwald
Staff

You would want to create a JSL script which pulls your dataset, generates your analysis, and saves it out as a web report. Once you have that script created, you can then setup a Windows task scheduler to run the script on the desired time frequency. To run a JMP script from the command line, just include the script file when starting JMP, ex. "C:\path_to_jmp\jmp.exe script.jsl". I would imagine Mac has a similar feature.
terapin
Level VI

Thanks mzwald for your suggestion,

I thought that was an option outside of JMP, but was curious to learn if there were any capabilities within JMP to complete real-time tasks.  

mzwald
Staff

There is a Schedule() function in JSL but this would require JMP to be continuously running.
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager Community Manager

This presentation from Discovery Summit Europe 2019 may provide some useful information as well: Automated Report Creation: From Data Import to Publication ( 2019-EU-TUT-079 ) . It contains some of the suggestions already mentioned.

terapin
Level VI

Thanks Ryan,

This information is very helpful and relevant to my data reporting needs.