cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nthai
Level III

Quantiles result from JMP are different from Python

Hi JMP community,

I'm trying to build a JMP script to calculate the quantiles 97.5. The issue here is my reference data is using Python in which return a different number. Below is an example:

Python P97.5: 2561.35 (equal to PERCENTILE.INC in Excel)

JMP P97.5: 2581.375 (equal to PERCENTILE.EXC in Excel)

My JSL code:

Summarize(
dt1,
group_by = By( :group ),
group_p975 = Quantile( :data, 0.975 )
);

Is there any setting or work around solution so i can get the same number with Python method?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Quantiles result from JMP are different from Python

The question sounds to me like you want in Python to get the equivalent to the JMP result and Excel's PERCENTILE.EXC function.

The answer to your question will be dependent on the Python package you are using for calculating the quartiles.  Are there additional parameters to the function, is there a different function ( just as Excel has 2 different functions).  Take a deep dive in the docs for the Python package you are using.

If you are asking how to have JSL return the same value as Python, (Excel's PERCENTILE.INC), I will have to defer to the JSL experts around here.  (Other than to suggest a deep dive into JMP's documentation both on line and in the scripting index.) 

nthai
Level III

Re: Quantiles result from JMP are different from Python

Hi Paul,

Thank for answering my question. My question is actually on the latter part, on how to have JSL return the same value as Python. I'm searching around for a quite but didn't get the answer.