Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Hamid
Level II

Problems with parallel graphs: Continuity and similar scale

Hi mates,

Working with parallel graphs, I have got 2 problems and would be appreciated if anyone can help me resolve it. 

1- Continuity: Say you have 6 series on your X-axis, but one of your data sets is missing series 4, then the connection between 3 and 5 will be missed. Is there any way to make the graph continues and connects the series just neglecting the missing points? 

2- Scale: If the number of series increases in the parallel plot, each of the verticals will have its own scale which is not editable. Is there a way to make the same scale for all of them? 

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Problems with parallel graphs: Continuity and similar scale

On your first issue, the only think I can suggest is that you could calculate a value for the missing cells.  Setting the value to zero....iff appropriate, or interpolating the value the cell would have if the line was drawn from the previous non missing value to the first non missing value.

On the second issue, there is a checkbox on the initial dialog that standardizes the  scales.

Jim
Hamid
Level II

Thanks, Nelson. 

The second one worked fine. There was a small point: look for it on the horizontal axis and not the vertical one! 

For the first one, it could be misleading, as I may want to change the combination of the series to watch; so I should look for a better alternative. 

hogi
Level XI

For the parallel Plot in GraphBuilder, is there a setting to use a common Y scale for all parameters?
For the plot below, if the grades keep a constant position along the Y  axis, it will be much easier ...

HolgerSp_0-1665928663795.png

View more...
dt << New Table( "grades",
	Add Rows( 15 ),
	Set Header Height( 46 ),
	New Column( "grade #1", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"A", "A", "A", "A", "A", "A", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "C", "A", "A", "B"} ) ),
	New Column( "grade #2", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "A", "A", "B", "A"} ) ),
	New Column( "grade #3", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"C", "C", "C", "C", "C", "C", "B", "B", "B", "B", "B", "C", "C", "C", "C"} ) )
);

dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 697, 385 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Graph Spacing( 5 ),
	Variables(
		X( :grade #1 ),
		X( :grade #2, Position( 1 ) ),
		X( :grade #3, Position( 1 ) ),
		Overlay( :grade #1 )
	),
	Elements( Parallel( X( 1 ), X( 2 ), X( 3 ), Legend( 9 ) ) )
)