cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
marktaylor
Level II

Pick File Question

This is my first time posting here so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. I wondered if anyone can help with the following. Is it possible to get only the file path part from the Pick File function.

If I write(names); I get {"/C:/Users/MT/file1.txt", "/C:/Users/MT/file1.txt"} but I would like just the path C:/Users/MT/ and to be associate that with a variable e.g. file_path = "C:/Users/MT/"

Thanks, Mark

names = Pick File(
"Select Data File",
"$DESKTOP",
{"Text Files|txt;csv", "All Files|*"},
"Data",
multiple
);

the  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pick File Question

In the Substr() function, just change the starting location to 2 and subtract one from the count.

path = Substr( names[1], 2, Contains( names[1], "/", -1 ) - 1 );
Wendy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

You could use the Pick Directory() function instead. Then use Files In Directory() function with the returned path to get the list of files.

I like the solution suggested by @Mark_Bailey best.  But here is another possibility that uses character functions to extract the file path.

path = Substr( names[1], 1, Contains( names[1], "/", -1 ) );
Wendy
marktaylor
Level II

Thanks Wendy, that works except for there's a leading slash so I get "/C:/Users/MT/" instead of "C:/Users/MT/".
I'm not sure where this leading / is coming from or how to get rid of it

In the Substr() function, just change the starting location to 2 and subtract one from the count.

path = Substr( names[1], 2, Contains( names[1], "/", -1 ) - 1 );
Wendy
marktaylor
Level II

Thank you so much Wendy. That worked just great.
marktaylor
Level II

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated