cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
steveylin
Level II

Pareto plot using existing row colors

On JMP 15/16, the pareto plot defaults to the color assigned to dataset rows.  On JMP 17 this is no longer true

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Pareto plot using existing row colors

Seems like JMP17 has added legend to pareto plot (and quite a many other new things) which overwrites the value colors column property

jthi_0-1700201125706.png

You would have to use Subcategory to get the colors, but if you use same column for that as you use for Cause, the plot gets ugly as it tries to fit the categories which are missing

jthi_1-1700201173793.png

Pareto Plots (jmp.com)

Most of the time when I need pareto plots I tend to use Graph Builder, because in my opinion pareto plot platforms is very clunky. Using graph builder does take a bit more work and it doesn't have all the same features Pareto Plot has, but it is much more customizable for visualization purposes

Names Default To Here(1);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Quality Control/Failure Raw Data.jmp");
dt << New Column("Ones", Numeric, Continuous, <<Set Each Value(1));
obj = dt << Pareto Plot(Cause(:failure));

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size(525, 458),
	Show Control Panel(0),
	Variables(X(:failure, Order By(:failure, Descending, Order Statistic("N"))), Y(:Ones), Y(:Ones, Position(1), Side("Right")), Color(:failure)),
	Elements(Bar(X, Y(1), Legend(3), Summary Statistic("N")), Line(X, Y(2), Color(0), Legend(6), Summary Statistic("Cumulative Percent"))),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch({}, "400", ScaleBox, {Legend Model(6, Properties(0, {Line Color(0)}, Item ID("Sum %", 1)))}),
		Dispatch({}, "Y title", TextEditBox, {Set Text("Count")}),
		Dispatch({}, "Y r title", TextEditBox, {Set Text("Cum Percent")})
	)
);

jthi_2-1700201583860.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jthi
Super User

Re: Pareto plot using existing row colors

Seems like JMP17 has added legend to pareto plot (and quite a many other new things) which overwrites the value colors column property

jthi_0-1700201125706.png

You would have to use Subcategory to get the colors, but if you use same column for that as you use for Cause, the plot gets ugly as it tries to fit the categories which are missing

jthi_1-1700201173793.png

Pareto Plots (jmp.com)

Most of the time when I need pareto plots I tend to use Graph Builder, because in my opinion pareto plot platforms is very clunky. Using graph builder does take a bit more work and it doesn't have all the same features Pareto Plot has, but it is much more customizable for visualization purposes

Names Default To Here(1);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Quality Control/Failure Raw Data.jmp");
dt << New Column("Ones", Numeric, Continuous, <<Set Each Value(1));
obj = dt << Pareto Plot(Cause(:failure));

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size(525, 458),
	Show Control Panel(0),
	Variables(X(:failure, Order By(:failure, Descending, Order Statistic("N"))), Y(:Ones), Y(:Ones, Position(1), Side("Right")), Color(:failure)),
	Elements(Bar(X, Y(1), Legend(3), Summary Statistic("N")), Line(X, Y(2), Color(0), Legend(6), Summary Statistic("Cumulative Percent"))),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch({}, "400", ScaleBox, {Legend Model(6, Properties(0, {Line Color(0)}, Item ID("Sum %", 1)))}),
		Dispatch({}, "Y title", TextEditBox, {Set Text("Count")}),
		Dispatch({}, "Y r title", TextEditBox, {Set Text("Cum Percent")})
	)
);

jthi_2-1700201583860.png

-Jarmo