cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SaraGo
Level II

Overlay target line on a histogram

How can I draw an histogram and overlay a line on it? (i.e. a line showing the target/minimum requirement for the histogram's columns) Please see the picture to understand what is the result I'd like to get.

The line doesn't necessarily have a constant value, but plots the values recorded in a different column of my table. Referring to the example in the picture: the target sales might differ day by day. 

I'd prefer an interactive explanation rather than a scripting answer. Thank you!

column chart with target line.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SDF1
Super User

Re: Overlay target line on a histogram

Hi @SaraGo ,

With any graph in JMP, you can double click on either the horizontal or vertical axis and then in the Reference Lines panel box, you can edit the corresponding boxes to get your reference line that you want.

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1637681340014.pngDiedrichSchmidt_1-1637681348921.png

Hope this helps!,

DS

View solution in original post

Since the line may not have a constant value, I created a simple example where the target changes. I have attached that file. I can create a chart that looks like this:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1637681421800.png

In Graph Builder, drag Day to the X-axis. Drag Daily Sales and Sales Target to the Y-axis. Change the graphing element to the bar chart. Change the Bar Style to Single.

Another option is to go with a more continuous line for the Sales Target.

Dan_Obermiller_1-1637681763524.png

You can get that as well, but has a few more steps.

Drag Day to the X-axis. Drag Daily Sales and Sales Target to the Y-axis. Change the graphing element to the Bar Chart. Click the Variables triangle and clear the checkmark from the Sales Target.

Hold the Shift key down and click the Line graphing element. Under the Line properties, click the Variables triangle and uncheck the Daily Sales variable.

Even if neither of these are what you want, I think the steps will show you some different ways to work with Graph Builder to get the picture that you want.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SDF1
Super User

Hi @SaraGo ,

With any graph in JMP, you can double click on either the horizontal or vertical axis and then in the Reference Lines panel box, you can edit the corresponding boxes to get your reference line that you want.

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1637681340014.pngDiedrichSchmidt_1-1637681348921.png

Hope this helps!,

DS

Since the line may not have a constant value, I created a simple example where the target changes. I have attached that file. I can create a chart that looks like this:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1637681421800.png

In Graph Builder, drag Day to the X-axis. Drag Daily Sales and Sales Target to the Y-axis. Change the graphing element to the bar chart. Change the Bar Style to Single.

Another option is to go with a more continuous line for the Sales Target.

Dan_Obermiller_1-1637681763524.png

You can get that as well, but has a few more steps.

Drag Day to the X-axis. Drag Daily Sales and Sales Target to the Y-axis. Change the graphing element to the Bar Chart. Click the Variables triangle and clear the checkmark from the Sales Target.

Hold the Shift key down and click the Line graphing element. Under the Line properties, click the Variables triangle and uncheck the Daily Sales variable.

Even if neither of these are what you want, I think the steps will show you some different ways to work with Graph Builder to get the picture that you want.

Dan Obermiller