cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abkram14
Level II

Overlay graphics from separate data tables

I would like overlay points from one data table onto a contour plot from a second data table without joining the data tables. I want to maintain the coloring and other properties from the points. I have tried to use the Copy/Paste Frame Contentents feature, however it provides the points but not the colors assigned to the points. Below is an example use JMP sample Data

A contour plot based on Cities.jmp

citiesByMaxTemp.png

A map with points from US Demographics.jmp

Physical Activity in the US.png

However using Edit > Copy Frame Contents then Edit > Paste Frame Contents I lose the coloring properties of my points. 

OverlayedPlot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Overlay graphics from separate data tables

You could try a virtual join: Virtual Joins in JMP

Or you could retain some of the customization capabilities using JMP customizations: Problem Solving in JMP and Using Graph Customizations to Create a Smith Chart

Best, 

M

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You could try a virtual join: Virtual Joins in JMP

Or you could retain some of the customization capabilities using JMP customizations: Problem Solving in JMP and Using Graph Customizations to Create a Smith Chart

Best, 

M

abkram14
Level II

I cannot use a virtual join because the data I want to use this on does not have an unique identifier. 

I think using JMP's customize feature is probably the best solution. Is there any documentation on what is available to use within customize? I found the section "Drawing Markers and Text" to be helpful, but I would just like more information on what features are available. 

Hi, @abkram14 !

You can find all the customization games you can play (with examples) by going to Help > Scripting Index in JMP.  From there in the first column look for Graphics(). Select that and the second column will filter down to the graphics options.  That's your playground for Graph Customizations.  

You can get additional information about what all you can do with additional examples in Help > Books > Scripting Guide.  You want Chater 12 in JMP14.  

Best,

M

abkram14
Level II

Thanks, I have read the Scripting Guide Section on Graphics and it did not answer my questions, but the Graphics section in the Scripting Index helped.

Here is my solution for anyone else wondering about this. I wish I had found a better way to do the coloring and to add a legend to go with the coloring for the points from the US Demographics.jmp table. 

cities = Data Table("Cities.jmp");

window = cities << Graph Builder(
	Variables( X( :Longitude ), Y( :Latitude ), Color( :Max deg. F Jan ) ),
	Elements( Contour( X, Y, Legend( 8 ), Number of Levels( 20 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Longitude",
			ScaleBox,
			{Min( -120.427580183506 ), Max( -73.4774650353953 ), Inc( 5 ),
			Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Latitude",
			ScaleBox,
			{Min( 18.7755280157154 ), Max( 59.0478368517315 ), Inc( 5 ),
			Minor Ticks( 1 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Graph Builder",
			FrameBox,
			{Background Map( Boundaries( "US States" ) ),
			Add Graphics Script(
				Description( "Script" ),
				dt = Data Table( "US Demographics.jmp" );
				Marker Size( 4 );
				color = "";
				For( i = 1, i < N Rows( dt ), i++,
					If(
						:Physical Activity[i] <= 72, color = " Light Green",
						72 < :Physical Activity[i] <= 75.5,
							color = "Medium Light Green",
						75.5 < :Physical Activity[i] <= 79, color = "Green",
						79 < :Physical Activity[i] <= 82.5,
							color = "Medium Dark Green",
						82.5 < :Physical Activity[i], color = "Dark Green",

);
					Marker( Color State( color ), {:Longitude[i], :Latitude[i]} );
				);

Close( dt, nosave );
			), Grid Line Order( 3 ), Reference Line Order( 4 )}
		)
	)
);
MathStatChem
Level VI

A manual way to do this is to right-click the graph with the single data points, and select Edit > Copy Frame Contents.  Then in the other graph right click and select Edit > Paste Frame Contents.  

You lose some interactivity this way, but it does the job sometimes.  When I do this, I usually first journal each graph, then do the above steps on the graphs in the journal.  

abkram14
Level II

I originally tried using Edit > Copy Frame Contents and Edit > Paste Frame Contents.  However I then lost the coloring of the points I was trying to copy, which I  needed to keep for what I am doing. 

I really wish it would copy the legend settings with the points. 

In the community there is a tab called “wishlist”. Put the request in there. The developers keep an eye on that list for ideas for future releases.

Best,

M