cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vhemingway
Level I

Order Bar Chart by Y-Axis Values?

I am new to JMP (using the trial of JMP 9) and completely stumpped on something that should be fairly simple.  I hugely appreciate any guidance!

I am making a bar chart that displays data from 2 separate years for each categorical value.  I sorted the numerical data in one of the columns in ascending order, but the bar chart is displaying the categories in alphabetical order instead of the order they appear on the data table I sorted. I tried changing the Row Order Levels for each column with no luck.  Any ideas on how to proceed in getting the bar chart to sort by the numerical values in one column instead of alphabetically by category?

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi veenimgway,

try this link for a complete explenation:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/jmp/2011/08/25/ordering-categorical-graph-elements/

let us know if it worked for you,

ron

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi veenimgway,

try this link for a complete explenation:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/jmp/2011/08/25/ordering-categorical-graph-elements/

let us know if it worked for you,

ron

vhemingway
Level I

Thanks Ron!  This article didn't show up in all of my searches.  It worked like a charm, although it took a few tries to get the continuous variable in the correct spot on the graph to make it work.  But now it is nice and organized.

Thanks!

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

personaly i love the drag and drop feature that makes JMP way ahead from all other statistical software. yet if you would like to repeate the action many times just save the script and re use it insted of using the GUI.

glad i could help.

ron

spudton
Level III

Re: Order Bar Chart by Y-Axis Values?

Hi, I have the same request, and it wasn;t fixed by using the method in the blog.

I have the following chart, which is made of continuous columns made up of zeros and 1's (fail and pass). 

the bar chart represents the mean of those columns, so a value of 1 = 100% pass rate, 0 = 0%.

It's quite busy as there're a lot of variables, so I'd like to sort the bars based on its value (the column mean).

I follow the step in the blog to combine the scales (merge), but I don;t get the option of  changing the order. 

The only options i get are 'combine scales', 'remove', 'axis settings', 'label' and 'edit'.

Help!

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Order Bar Chart by Y-Axis Values?

Hi @spudton 

in your case it will not work. if i understand correctly, you have entered many columns to the graph. Therefore, there are no categories to sort.

Try summarizing your data first to produce the values you want to present as different categories in the same column. This way you would be able to use the ordering feature.

Let us know if this helped.

Ron