cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Nonparametric Tests: Kolmogorov Smirnov test for variance testing

Hello:

I have multiple (large data) distribution that I have already tested the means and determined that they are the same and roughly zero. This is what I expected based on subject expertize. Two of the distribution have larger variations than my other distribution. I see this graphically and based on the summary statistics. I want to be more formal and test for differences in the variances. I was thinking of doing Kolmogorov Smimov testing; however, I could not figure out how to do this for my 12 distributions simultanously. Should I even be using the KS test for this purpose? I do not want to be tied to normal distribution testing. Suggestions are appreciated.

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nonparametric Tests: Kolmogorov Smirnov test for variance testing

Generally speaking, the non-parametric tests help you decide if two or more populations are different with regard to any parameter. They are not specific to a particular parameter, as are tested with the parametric tests.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

JMP provides several statistical tests for comparing the variances between multiple groups.  Under Fit Y by X (oneway), you can select "Unequal Variances" from the red triangle, and JMP will provide a list of stats that will give you a better option than KS for testing the variances.

Jim

Thanks.

Generally speaking, the non-parametric tests help you decide if two or more populations are different with regard to any parameter. They are not specific to a particular parameter, as are tested with the parametric tests.