cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Markn
Level II

New data added in excel - how to refresh in JMP

My source data is in excel. I created a script to import the data with wizard into JMP and then further scripts do many things in JMP, ultimately creating graphs. And the scripts re-run just fine as long as I just look at the original data. But when I add new rows in the excel and run the scripts, the new data is not included there. I just see the same data that was in the excel when I created the scripts for the first time.

I have not worked for a long with JMP and never written a script of my own. 

24 REPLIES 24
Markn
Level II

Re: New data added in excel - how to refresh in JMP

I have JMP 17. I'm not yet familiar with Source Script and Workflow builder so  I need to look into those. Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations where to start?

Then answers: 

• Yes, all the data comes from the excel file
  • Individual old data points in the excel  may be removed/modified (=corrected) whenever excel table  is updated. But 99% of time  it is just adding new data (=rows) at the bottom of  existing columns.  
  • All the data points from the excel are pulled out every time when we update our status. We want to observe  cumulative results. Each column includes (and is labeled accordingly) values for a specific parameter.
  • People (who do not work with JMP) manually fill in the data into the excel file.   

jthi
Super User

In your case, I feel like creating Workflow might be the easiest option to get started as you don't really want to update JMP table but rather always re-create new table.

Create new workflow

jthi_0-1701779741265.png

Start recording actions

jthi_1-1701779778285.png

Here I have excel opened and I have added new column

jthi_2-1701779822165.png

You can stop recording at this point, as I feel like this is all you need.

Then you can save your workflow and just rerun it to create new table whenever you need one.

-Jarmo
Markn
Level II

Thanks for the advice Jarmo, this looks quite clear. In the real JMP table I need to do more data manipulation and then create several graphs but if the whole thing can be managed simply by recording the steps in the workflow, then this looks indeed like a viable solution.  I will try this out, thank you!

Markn
Level II

Now it works! The structure and flow which I created are  perhaps a little bit clumsy - but they serve the purpose and now I have a way forward, to further refine the solution. Thank you again Jarmo.

jthi
Super User

You can also export it as a script and it might be easier to modify that way.

Also, if you start modifying JMP created scripts, this video can be very helpful Better JSL Smoother Migration: How To Fix Your Own Code​ 

-Jarmo