cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
yousefhan
Level II

Multivariable linear regression for data with multiple time points

I'm measuring the garbage output of various cities in my country. I have five independent variables as predictors measured at 4-time points (same for the outcome).

I'm not interested in the effects of time. I want to know the regression coefficients for each of my variables. To find that out, I could do four separate multiple regressions, one for each time point. But that wouldn't summarize the data well since I would have four sets of results. So my question is, is there a way to enter the data for all four-time points and get one set of regression coefficients?

1 REPLY 1
statman
Super User

Re: Multivariable linear regression for data with multiple time points

There are many options:

1. First evaluate the consistency of the within country (the 4 time points), and if this is reasonably consistent, you can take the mean and standard deviation (or some other appropriate enumerative statistic) of those 4 points.  You will be able to model the 5 independent variable effects on the mean and on variation.

2. As you suggest, you can model each time separately and compare the 4 models.

3. Do you predict any of the 5 independent variables will have a latent or lagged effect?  If so you might want to look at the slope of the 4 points in time series and use that as a response variable.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box