cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Mosaic Plots Question

Is it possible to condtruct Mosaic Plots with equal widths for the X factors similar to what can be done with Box Plots?

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Mosaic Plots Question

Hi Smoore2,

Using graph builder you can create a mosaic plot with either proportionally sized or equally sized x categories.

If you use your X variable in the X drop zone, you will produce the typical mosaic plot with proportionally sized categories on the X

7188_Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.50.43 PM.png

But, if you use your X variable in the "Group X" drop zone at the top, JMP will size the categories equally.

7189_Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.50.40 PM.png

If you right click the category labels on the top, then select "X Group Edge" you can move the labels to the bottom (to most closely resemble the original mosaic plot).

I hope this helps!

Julian

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Sorry for the typo:  "Is it possible to construct...."

Steve
louv
Staff (Retired)

In a Mosaic Plot, the proportions on the x-axis represent the number of observations for each level of the X-variable. This is for explanatory value afforded by the plot to explain an additional dimension to the visualized graphic.

louv
Staff (Retired)

An alternative view that I like using graph builder is a heat map with the frequency color scale. This view uses equal real estate for the x-axis.

7157_Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 9.59.12 PM.png

Steven_Moore
Level VI

LouV,  Yes, I understand why the columns are not the same width.  Boxplots can do the same thing, but you can have the boxes the same width if desired.  I was hoping this ability could be envoked for mosaic plots as well.

Thanks for your response.

Steve
louv
Staff (Retired)

smoore2,

Have you shared your desire with support@jmp.com so that it can be considered in the future?

Steven_Moore
Level VI

I will do that.  Thanks!

Steve
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi Smoore2,

Using graph builder you can create a mosaic plot with either proportionally sized or equally sized x categories.

If you use your X variable in the X drop zone, you will produce the typical mosaic plot with proportionally sized categories on the X

7188_Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.50.43 PM.png

But, if you use your X variable in the "Group X" drop zone at the top, JMP will size the categories equally.

7189_Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.50.40 PM.png

If you right click the category labels on the top, then select "X Group Edge" you can move the labels to the bottom (to most closely resemble the original mosaic plot).

I hope this helps!

Julian

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Thank-you, Julian!

Steve
winfriedkoch0
Level IV

This is a good solution for the simple situation as discussed.

If I want to generate a plot combining several variables, then I usually must put one variable in the X drop zone and then the proportional sizing is no longer available for this variable.

By the way, I usually am not free to select which variable is dropped in the x-zone because of the fixed priorization of x and Group x drop zones in the set-up of the plot.