cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Annelies
Level II

Mixture Design 14 factors or more... some needs to be equal to each other...

I'm new with JMP and I was hoping to set up a basis for our experiments for economical and time efficiency reasons. 

I'm working with Epoxy and Polymers. For our products we use a component 1 and a component 2 system. When these components are mixed it get cured over time. Those component 1 and component 2, excist out of two parts. Part 1 is now called Liquid. These ingredients need to be equal to each other(reacting to each other in a ratio) or can hardly change. Part 2 is now called solid. These ingredients can easily change and influence the responses on their own. 

Component 1                                   Component 2

GGREEN003A                                  GRED0007A

GPURPLE009A                                GRED0008A                          (liquid part, total 7 ingredients)

GBROWN018A                                 GPURPLE007B

GBLUE003A

GGREY019A                                     GBLACK001A

GGREY025A                                     GGREY031A                       (solid part, total 7 ingredients)

GGREY013A                                     GGREY006A

GGREY006A

Everything together is 100%

In Custom Design you can Specify a factor with Hard-to-Change levels. But my factor is part of a mixture, so I'm not sure how to set this up with a Mixture Design.

Can someone help me with this?

If you need more explanation, please let me know.

17 REPLIES 17
Annelies
Level II

Re: Mixture Design 14 factors or more... some needs to be equal to each other...

So I need just to play with it a little bit more to get used to it.

Yeah I noticed the techinal and mathematical terms in a preview. 

@Mark_Bailey thanks for you recommendation. I will look into it aswell.

Now that people are still using this subject! A different question but with the same scenario. 

I can open another discussion if that is more easier....

Same scenario but this time the ratio is the only constant value.

C1 liquid reacts with C2 liquid in a ratio 100:75

So the formula will be:      4*C1 liquid = 3 C2 liquid

As far as I understand from https://www.jmp.com/en_in/events/ondemand/mastering-jmp/mixture-designs.html

The constrain will become:

4*C1 liquid -3 C2 liquid </= 0

4*C1 liquid -3 C2 liquid >/= 0

The other constrain is just like last time, that all ingredients for component 1 is 50% and all the ingredients for component 2 is 50% of the total blend.

The picture is a little bit small now... sorry. (just to be sure it can also be found in the appendix.

ratio constrain.JPG

For some weird reason I get now "Optimal designer failed to converge." 

Have I filled in something wrong here?

Re: Mixture Design 14 factors or more... some needs to be equal to each other...

When you start constraining your components this much and JMP fails to find a design, my first question is always: do you even have a feasible experimental region left? Look at your component constraints along with these additional constraints. Is there a viable region to experiment over?

Dan Obermiller
Annelies
Level II

I understand, I had something in my mind and I probably need to rewrite the components values.

I'm sure it is possible, I just need to check my factors again.

I have simplify it and then it was possible. See picture down here. 

Due to the ratio there is not really a plane, but more like a line were the optimal can be reached. 

That line is in an area of 0 by 0.5. 

C1 liquid and C2 liquid are reacting with a ratio of 100:75. In this example in a range of 0 bij 0.5.

(0 is not really what I want, because it needs to react, but I wanted to see if it was possible.)

The optimal will be checked with every Filler ingredients. So GGREY006A... etc.

So how I see it, JMP can check a line area.  

Ratio Constrain try 2.jpg

And yes I noticed my ratio fault here. :)

It's now C1 liquid : C2 liquid

75   :  100

And I wanted C1 liquid: C2 liquid

100    :    75

I need to swap the 4 and the 3 around.

I'm going to play a little bit more with JMP. 

Annelies
Level II

Made it! :)  Sorry for the spam... Thanks for all the help and replies!

Ratio Constrain try 3.jpg

statman
Super User

Generally doesn't mean your n = 1 example...LOL. Really most papers and texts you read describe mixture designs as having few variables. But there are many approaches to getting things done. One of my favorite quotes is. “Two equally competent investigators presented with the same problem would typically begin from different starting points, proceed by different routes, and yet could reach the same answer. What is sought is not uniformity but convergence." (Box, Hunter, Hunter).
Cheers.
"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
loganshawn
Level III

Thanks, Mark, I was so discouraged by reading John Cornell's book. It is full of math formula and I gave it up after 40 pages. My work is related to formulation which contain 100 ingredients. Is it possible to have a design with 100 factors? 

statman
Super User

Yes, John A. Cornell is recognized as one THE experts on mixture designs.  I recommend his papers " Embedding Mixture Designs inside Factorial  Experiments", "Mixture Experiment Approaches: Examples, Discussion, and Recommendations".  Also Ron Snee has some good papers "Screening Concepts and Designs for Experiments with Mixtures" and Design and Analysis of Mixture Experiments".  

Enjoy!

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
loganshawn
Level III

Hi, statman, if I have a formulation which contain 100 components, can I use mixture design?