cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Mickyboy
Level V

Logical Test to check a range and return True or False

Hi,

l am trying to check if a value in a cell within a variable lies within a range of values, between 0.50 and 2.0, and if it does fall within that range to return true and if it doesnt return false. i am in the data table, and column info, and typing the following into the edit formula:

If (0.50 < ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ) > 2.0), "True", "False") 

// and 
If (0.50 < ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ))|(2.0 > ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ), "True", "False"))

but neither is working for me, what am i doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Logical Test to check a range and return True or False

Here is a piece of JSL that creates a column under the specifications you provided

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = New Table( "Example",
	add rows( 20 ),
	New Column( "P1-R1-D1-L1", formula( Random Uniform( 0, 4 ) ) )
);

dt << New Column( "TorF",
	character,
	formula( If( 0.50 <= :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ) <= 2.0, "True", "False" ) )
);
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Here is a piece of JSL that creates a column under the specifications you provided

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = New Table( "Example",
	add rows( 20 ),
	New Column( "P1-R1-D1-L1", formula( Random Uniform( 0, 4 ) ) )
);

dt << New Column( "TorF",
	character,
	formula( If( 0.50 <= :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ) <= 2.0, "True", "False" ) )
);
Jim
Mickyboy
Level V

once again thanks txnelson, thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

@txnelson gave you a working example but I can explain what you've got wrong in your attempts.

If (0.50 < ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ) > 2.0), "True", "False") 

In this on you're trying a complex comparison that JMP doesn't support, namely a < b > c, i.e. a less than b greater than c.

Looking in the Formula Editor you can see the complex comparisons that JMP does offer, and that @txnelson used:

2020-04-26_11-01-47.904.png

Notice the help text which gives a clue that JMP is a functional language and that these complex operators are really shorthand for the functions Less LessEqual() and LessEqual Less(). JMP doesn't have a function for the comparison you wanted to make.

For the second attempt:

If (0.50 < ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ))|(2.0 > ( :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ), "True", "False"))

You've got some more parentheses than needed and they are  in the wrong places. Here's a corrected version:

If( 0.50 < :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ) | 2.0 > :Name( "P1-R1-D1-L1" ),
	"True",
	"False"
)

However, let's consider what you're asking for in this logical comparison. You're asking JMP to check whether your column is greater than .5 or 2.0 is greater than your column. This will be true for all values of your column. If your column is less than .5, then 2.0 will be greater than your column. If your column is greater than 2.0 then .5 will be less than your column.

So, you probably want the version that @txnelson provided, checking to see if your column is within the range .5 to 2.0 using the a < b <= c construct.

-Jeff
Mickyboy
Level V

Thanks Jeff, great explanation