cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Joon
Level I

Lack of Fit missing

Hi~

When I study fit model, I have a simple problem. As you see below image, I want to know why "Lack of Fit" is not activated, this sample data just from JMP library.

2018-04-14 15 08 43.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Lack of Fit missing

The documentation for the Fit Model Platform has the following statement:

In the following situations, the Lack of Fit report does not appear because the test statistic

cannot be computed:

• There are no replicated points with respect to the X variables, so it is impossible to

calculate a pure error sum of squares.

• The model is saturated, meaning that there are as many estimated parameters as

there are observations. Such a model fits perfectly, so it is impossible to assess lack of fit.

The documentation is available from the pull down menus in JMP:

Help==>Books==>Fitting Linear Models

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

The documentation for the Fit Model Platform has the following statement:

In the following situations, the Lack of Fit report does not appear because the test statistic

cannot be computed:

• There are no replicated points with respect to the X variables, so it is impossible to

calculate a pure error sum of squares.

• The model is saturated, meaning that there are as many estimated parameters as

there are observations. Such a model fits perfectly, so it is impossible to assess lack of fit.

The documentation is available from the pull down menus in JMP:

Help==>Books==>Fitting Linear Models

Jim
Joon
Level I

Thanks a lot, I have to study more with Books that you recommanded~