cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AprilCCC
Level I

JSL to create swimmer plot or spider plot

Hi all, I am currently using JMP Pro 14.3, but can't make a swimmer plot by graph builder. I saw this post before, but it seems like the plot can be generated automatically. Is there any way to create a swimmer plot or spider plot through JMP graph builder or JSL? Thanks! JMP Pro 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SDF1
Super User

Re: JSL to create swimmer plot or spider plot

Hi @AprilCCC ,

The coding should all be JSL since this add-in is meant to run in JMP.

Looking at the swimmer plots, in the PDF, it looks a lot like a Gantt chart, or at least a modified version of one. You might look into that add-in here. You might be able to modify the data table so that it looks more like your swimmer plots than a Gantt chart, but they're fundamentally similar, at least it looks that way.

It could be those particular plots are standard options in JMP Clinical, which is a different software to JMP. You might not be able to get the exact same plots in JMP as JMP Clinical, although in principle, you could script one up if you have the time.

DS

View solution in original post

Hi @AprilCCC ,

When people say real-time they usually mean on-going trial which data being extracted on a weekly basis and daily at the most frequent. Haver you tried this add-in to convert Excel to SAS Data Sets that follow SDTM structure? It maps columns in an Excel file to SDTM variables by drag and drop, then exports them into SAS data sets with the proper file name and variable names. It also saved the map so it can be recalled every time a new cut of the data is extracted.  Here is a link

JMP Clinical CDISC Conversion Add-In - JMP User Community

Is your data coming from a CRO or directly from an EDC? I find that most of this is simply a mapping exercise (column name x to variable name y) and that many CROs will deliver SDTM formatted data upon request (usually contractual to deliver at or near end of study, but sometimes will deliver more frequently). EDCs usually have an option to export SAS data sets and if using a CDASH like structure for the CRFs and EDC, the it is almost SDTM ready (except for stacking DM, and findings data as well as date format changes)

People have coded this in SAS as well: Swimmer plot - Graphically Speaking (sas.com). Maybe you can adapt that into JSL.

Also remember DM and RS are the main domain datasets used to create a decent swimmer plot. Those can easily be mapped and used in JMP Clinical if you still have access. If coding on your own, you might want to bring in DS as well that way you can further annotate the graph with disposition events.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SDF1
Super User

Hi @AprilCCC ,

@MikeD_Anderson wrote an add-in to create spider plots, published in 2020. You can find it here.

Hope this helps!,

DS

AprilCCC
Level I

Hi @SDF1 , Thanks for the quick reply.

I've seen the post before, very helpful but isn't quite like the tumor response spider plot and swimmer plot I am looking for as in the attachment. Also, I'm new to JMP, is the language under the plot JSL or SAS? Thanks again

SDF1
Super User

Hi @AprilCCC ,

The coding should all be JSL since this add-in is meant to run in JMP.

Looking at the swimmer plots, in the PDF, it looks a lot like a Gantt chart, or at least a modified version of one. You might look into that add-in here. You might be able to modify the data table so that it looks more like your swimmer plots than a Gantt chart, but they're fundamentally similar, at least it looks that way.

It could be those particular plots are standard options in JMP Clinical, which is a different software to JMP. You might not be able to get the exact same plots in JMP as JMP Clinical, although in principle, you could script one up if you have the time.

DS

Hi @AprilCCC ,

As you can guess from Kelci's slides, this was done in JMP Clinical, not JMP. Same for Swimmer Plot.  The spider plot and waterfall plot in the tumor response report are not difficult to create but require precomputing what Best % change from baseline is for the waterfall plot.

Spider plot is a simple Graph Builder plot of time on X, % Change from Baseline on Y, and then Unique Subject identifier in Overlay.  The annotations of new lesions were row specific markers (*) of when that subject had a new lesion.

Swimmer Plots are much more difficult and require a very specific structure of the JMP table and a lot of Graph Builder work (manually). In the end JSL was used with some custom graphic scripting.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
AprilCCC
Level I

Hi @Chris_Kirchberg,

Thanks for the clarification. I've tried JMP Clinical before. It seems like the Swimmer Plots only work when data meets STDM, which will only be generated when the clinical trial is almost finished, instead of the EXCEL data sheet. So the swimmer plot won't be able to generate in real-time during the clinical trial. Is there any suggestion that can be done to generate a similar swimmer plot through JMP from excel input data? 

BR,

April

Hi @AprilCCC ,

When people say real-time they usually mean on-going trial which data being extracted on a weekly basis and daily at the most frequent. Haver you tried this add-in to convert Excel to SAS Data Sets that follow SDTM structure? It maps columns in an Excel file to SDTM variables by drag and drop, then exports them into SAS data sets with the proper file name and variable names. It also saved the map so it can be recalled every time a new cut of the data is extracted.  Here is a link

JMP Clinical CDISC Conversion Add-In - JMP User Community

Is your data coming from a CRO or directly from an EDC? I find that most of this is simply a mapping exercise (column name x to variable name y) and that many CROs will deliver SDTM formatted data upon request (usually contractual to deliver at or near end of study, but sometimes will deliver more frequently). EDCs usually have an option to export SAS data sets and if using a CDASH like structure for the CRFs and EDC, the it is almost SDTM ready (except for stacking DM, and findings data as well as date format changes)

People have coded this in SAS as well: Swimmer plot - Graphically Speaking (sas.com). Maybe you can adapt that into JSL.

Also remember DM and RS are the main domain datasets used to create a decent swimmer plot. Those can easily be mapped and used in JMP Clinical if you still have access. If coding on your own, you might want to bring in DS as well that way you can further annotate the graph with disposition events.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
www.jmp.com
AprilCCC
Level I

Hi @Chris_Kirchberg,

Thanks for sharing the tips. I'm from the medical department of Biotech. The data is usually coming from CRO monthly, either exported as excel or SAS dataset, but won't be as SDTM formatted data. The statistic department can create swimmer pot through the SAS dataset, but can't be done in time for medical department to review efficacy or safety during the trial, so we try to do it through JMP clinical. Maybe we can try DS, and as you said, can further annotate the graph with disposition events for the internal medical monitoring report.

BR,

April

AprilCCC
Level I

Hi @SDF1,

Thanks for the reply. I will try the Gantt chart add-in to script a swimmer plot. I will let you know if that works.

BR,

April