cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
HelenaG
Level II

Ratios in JMP

Hello, I would like to question what is the best way to insert ratios in JMP. It seems to me that 52:48 and 53:47 and so on doesn't quite work for conclusive data analysis... The purpose is to use them for correlation coefficient calculations. 

Thank you in advance!

Helena

4 REPLIES 4
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Ratios in JMP

Without knowing what platform or analyses you want to use the ratios it is hard to say, but it is pretty common to express those as a decimal, so 52:48 might be just 0.52.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

As @ih says, ratios are usually entered as a decimal but perhaps we're not understanding exactly what you want to do.

Can you tell us more about what you mean by ratios and how you want to use them? What do the 52 and the 48 represent in your example, 52:48? They might be better represented as separate columns in your data table.

-Jeff
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
As my peers have indicated, it is a bit difficult to tell what is your end goal but I'm guessing that you want to capture the weight of the ratio as well as the ratios themselves. Hence, I would suggest that you calculate the ratios as @ih mentioned and create a new column as the sum of the numerator and denominator as Weight. Then you can analyze these data using the ratios as your Ys and the Weight as weight. Is that a good guess or am I going on a tangent?
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
HelenaG
Level II

Thank you all @Thierry_S @Jeff_Perkinson @ih for these helpful insights. My goal is to use the ratios as X and correlate them (using Pearson and Spearman coefficients) with a Y (yield).