cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pjkiley
Level II

JMP plotting: only applying color scheme to one component

Dear all,

I wish to create a contour plot using the Graph Builder and to color this contour plot by a specific column value using the overlay feature.  So far this is pretty easy.  In addition, I would like to overlay this contour plot with the actual data points.  This is easy too, by dragging the scatterplot icon down onto the plot, I can easily add the points.  

However, my problem is that the scatterplot points wind up the same color as the contour, which makes them hard to see.  I would like them to be black.  However, I cannot seem to delete the overlay for the scatterplot without also deleting it for the contour.

My question is: is there a way to selectively apply the overlay to only the contour, while keeping the scatterplot points black?

Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pjkiley
Level II

Re: JMP plotting: only applying color scheme to one component

Thanks very much!  This is a great answer because it also allows me to save it as a script, and re-use without going through the graph builder next time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SDF1
Super User

Hi @pjkiley,

One way to do this, but it's not very elegant is to make two graph builder plots: 1) contour plot colored (or overlayed) with column to give color to it, and 2) scatterplot. You can then right click the scatterplot and then edit->copy frame contents, then right click contour plot and edit->paste frame contents.

If you're doing this only once or twice, then this could be a way to get what you wnat, however, this is not efficient if you need to do this many times.

Below is an example I did with the BigClass.jmp file:

Snap1.png

You might learn how to script it out by viewing the script from the hot button. 

You might be able to use the Properties(0,{Line Color(#), Fill Color(0), Item ID(:y-column, 1) within the Dispatch command to get what you want by scripting. I'm not that familiar with doing it that way, though.

I'd be interested in an elegant way to do it via scripting.

Hope this helps!,

DS

The default behavior of Graph Builder elements is to use all of the specified variable roles.  In the property panel, you can open the Variables section to specify while roles apply to an element.  In this example, I toggled off the Overlay role for the Points element, which gives the result that you are looking for:

ContourOverlay.png

pjkiley
Level II

Thanks very much!  This is a great answer because it also allows me to save it as a script, and re-use without going through the graph builder next time.